Radius arm/coil SAS stability problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Mine is a D44
I’m not a build thread kinda guy... never stay motivated enough.
I seen those axles a lot at PNP
I decided against spending a week modifying it.
Odds are you’d need to make a truss and link on top of that as well as build new buckets.
Mine is just a D44 and she’s been good to me.

That’s one reason I’m trying to do this, if I can make it work well it’s a cheaper alternative for HD axle swaps. I got it for 100 bucks, the new bucket will be in between where the bump stop and current buckets are, planning to use the factory ford radius arm mounts on the axle for my custom radius arm mounts. A lot less fab than it looks to be honest. I would think it shouldent need trussing?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much Eskimomann209 cut out of the lower front crossmember.

I've been debating on doing a 4 link using the factory coil buckets on my Yukon or getting the 2wd Off Road Unlimited leaf spring kit. The Off Road Unlimited kit would be easy, and relatively trouble free since I'd be welding everything on top of the bolts. Plus it's already engineered to all work together. (I would hope anyway)

If I'd do a 4 link, it all be on me to do all the engineering and math work to get everything to work right (though I do have a ET degree)... one mishap and it would be death wobble city. Already had that issue in my Jeep last year (combination of worn components and UCA's being too short for lift), and I'd rather not deal with that in the Yukon. Plus, I could do the kit now and later on go 4 think if I really wanted to.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much Eskimomann209 cut out of the lower front crossmember.

I've been debating on doing a 4 link using the factory coil buckets on my Yukon or getting the 2wd Off Road Unlimited leaf spring kit. The Off Road Unlimited kit would be easy, and relatively trouble free since I'd be welding everything on top of the bolts. Plus it's already engineered to all work together. (I would hope anyway)

If I'd do a 4 link, it all be on me to do all the engineering and math work to get everything to work right (though I do have a ET degree)... one mishap and it would be death wobble city. Already had that issue in my Jeep last year (combination of worn components and UCA's being too short for lift), and I'd rather not deal with that in the Yukon. Plus, I could do the kit now and later on go 4 think if I really wanted to.

There’s a forum I read a guy put links to an excel spreadsheet that has 3 and 4 link length calculator on it, it’s helpful to me at least visualizing. Yes leaf springs would be soooooo much easier And trouble free, but how many people are on coils? Is the cool factor worth it?:biggrin::Big Laugh: Is your youkon the one that’s in the YouTube videos about the tow mirrors?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
There’s a forum I read a guy put links to an excel spreadsheet that has 3 and 4 link length calculator on it, it’s helpful to me at least visualizing. Yes leaf springs would be soooooo much easier And trouble free, but how many people are on coils? Is the cool factor worth it?:biggrin::Big Laugh:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've been heavy thinking about coil springs. In theory it should ride smoother (get the spring rate right) and the little offroad it would do, it would excel vs leaf springs.

Is your youkon the one that’s in the YouTube videos about the tow mirrors?

If you mean this one Here from two years ago, then yes it is. Posted a ton of videos since then, not solely on the Yukon though, have 3 other vehicles to work on/modify. Lol.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've been heavy thinking about coil springs. In theory it should ride smoother (get the spring rate right) and the little offroad it would do, it would excel vs leaf springs.

If you mean this one Here from two years ago, then yes it is. Posted a ton of videos since then, not solely on the Yukon though, have 3 other vehicles to work on/modify. Lol.

I thought I recognized it, that’s cool man i like the youkon.

I’m leaning towards the radius arm setup just because of the axle I have, otherwise I would attempt 4 link, should still work out ok though.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys... get busy with life and other projects
I cut out as much as was needed to do a leaf spring swap!
I’ll post pictures soon. Thank you for the compliments . It’s sad in my area when people don’t know anything about these trucks or what I have done. It’s more frustrating when people ask what lift it is . XD.

It rides 100xs better than leafs
I had those first ifnyou cant tell by the honking crossmember in the pics

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To make it easy to imagine
I cut across that seam that Is in there!
And removed the lower mouts for “looks”

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sooo I have read back in the day that you want the uppers 70% of the lowers and nownthat info has changed into making them the same length....
You want the separation to be correct too... I think framemsode separation needed to be 1/2 the distance of the axle side I can’t remember for sure and I know mine weren’t dead nuts 1/2 this distance.

The truck has a divorced NP 205 with twin stick...
off road is more fun than on the road.
I have been fighting some intermediate shaft wobble... or I have a bad rebuild on this gear box.
Either way it’s annoying because of some vibrations that happen inconsistently.
So I definitely prefer playing Around in the hills / mud