Radio Faceplate Buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing the buttons or lights behind the buttons on the OE radio? It's not that big of a deal, but I think only my '2' and '4' light up right now so I was going to replace the light(s) behind them. There's a motherboard or whatever you call it after you remove the faceplate from the rest of radio and there are tiny bolts holding it in.
The smallest normal bit I have is 4mm so I ordered a 2mm and 3mm nut driver online and they're way too small.
I can get to all but 1 with either needle nose or crescent, but that last one needs a skinny bit.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Have done both. You have to get way into the radio to get the lights. And research what bulbs. I used ones that were too hot and melted the diffuser sheet a little which made for uneven light on the buttons. I think I may have posted the correct bulbs or at least which ones are not the right ones. I eventually went to leds and they matched the leds I put everywhere else pretty good.

BIGEALZ

Reaction score
Have done both. You have to get way into the radio to get the lights. And research what bulbs. I used ones that were too hot and melted the diffuser sheet a little which made for uneven light on the buttons. I think I may have posted the correct bulbs or at least which ones are not the right ones. I eventually went to leds and they matched the leds I put everywhere else pretty good.
How did you know what LEDs to buy and did you have to use resistors with your LEDs or just straight into the board

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
How did you know what LEDs to buy and did you have to use resistors with your LEDs or just straight into the board

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I used leds with built in resistors. They were the only ones I found with resistors built inside the bulb, so the look like any other led, but basically run off 12v due to the resistor. I believe I got them from amazon.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Hard to believe it was 2.5 years ago that I replaced them.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Superbright makes the NEO's that are a direct fit

That's what i have in my 93 HVAC unit
Pretty positive it's the same style bulbs as what's in the radio