quick header questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garagemethods

Reaction score
yea i know this topic has been beaten to hell and back...but i have yet to find an answer to my question(s)

i'm interested in these headers:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006-9/
ceramic coated, full length, for 220 bucks? i personally love that idea. although it says these headers are for 95 and older trucks, so could these bolt up to a 96 350? and have a tune done so i don't need to plug that o2 sensor into them?

if those won't work then can someone please point me in the direction of some budget full length headers for my truck? stainless or ceramic would be nice but those two words usually aren't found in the same sentance as the word budget...

and no need for any y-pipe info or questions, i plan on doing a completely new exhaust system.

thanks in advance

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well fyi I bought stainless shorties off ebay for $122 shipped and they are cheaper now, ball end so no gaskets. Long tubes and ceramic for $220 not bad.

As for them working I think that's not o2 on your truck so having a tune aint gonna help I think your o2 is further back, not 100 percent though. I think the 96 and up have the egr tube, that could be removed and a tune to block it off the computer. Then you can maybe put your o2 in the header bung or have it put further back like stock and have that bung in the header plugged off.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i got the same headers as swims has there but they should fit just fine since mine said they worked through 98 so that would mean they would work on the vortec heads? so if your work on 95 and older i would assume they would work on 95 or newer as long as its 350...but don't qoute me on that i'm not sure. but to answer your o2 question my o2 is farther back on the y pipe so all i did was take a copper washer and a oil plug to fill the bung works fine. are you putting true duals on?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has the shorties and it's duals they cut the y-pipe out of mine and made it duals.

garagemethods

Reaction score
i have shorties right now. i'm not a big fan of them, i want lt's for the better gain. and yea egr is what i'm talking about. and yes the o2 is further back. i know i can have the o2 tuned out, but the egr is what i'm worried about, i wouldn't want to get these headers then turn out that the egr can't be tuned out. and yea it would make sense that they would bolt up, especially seeing as many people run the vortec heads on those older engines.

true dual is what i'm going to do. to be exact it's going to be true dual, catless, x-pipe, mufflers of some sort (i haven't quite decided) and most likely dumped right after the mufflers.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea you should be able to tune it out. i know my buddy got his lt1 tuned and he deleted the egr. from what i know the basic principles the vortec was designed from was the same as the lt1. but the computers could be different so who really knows i'll see if i can find you a link to the guy who tuned his lt1's ecu

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
egr can be tuned out, I don't see o2 can how the motor gonna know or computer gonna know if it needs more or less fuel? just have a set program and go from there? kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a computer and fi, might as well run a carb if you ditch the o2.

egr can be tuned out, they told me I could have mine done and do away with it.

garagemethods

Reaction score
egr can be tuned out, I don't see o2 can how the motor gonna know or computer gonna know if it needs more or less fuel? just have a set program and go from there? kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a computer and fi, might as well run a carb if you ditch the o2.

egr can be tuned out, they told me I could have mine done and do away with it.

well then why are so many people doing that little nonfouler trick with the o2 and so many people having them tuned out? i see many people tuning them out to run catless...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no clue seems to me like it just defeats a purpose of having the computer. it's just like a carb then doesn't adjust it's stuck on one thing and that's it. Not to mention most ppl have more then one cat.

my guess is they think if they remove it and run catless it's gonna help a huge bit and it probably would help some, but it's just basically turning it into a carb'd old school setup, why even have computer then? I like the old school crap, I hate computers and sesnors.

As for why they do it no clue I don't like computer junk and don't mess with it much, but what I do know about it, is it helps save fuel by reading the o2 and adjusting accordingly. other then computer controlled transmissions and stuff.

Go ask them why they do it, and if you know you can why ask about it? I never heard of it being done, not tuned out. I heard of bypassing it and such, but mostly by guys who have one in front of the cats and one after, and they tune out or bypass the one behind the cat. I don't think the one in front of cats makes a difference whether or not you have cats, my 88 is tbi and doesn't have a cat and the o2 is in the header, I never get a code or anything. So if it doesn't throw codes and it's still in the pipe or header, there's no cat, why remove it? it doesn't seem to be hurting anything being there, unless it goes bad then it aint cheap. As for behind the cat, do it, I don't like cats, they are junk imo and another way to rob money from you.

garagemethods

Reaction score
no clue seems to me like it just defeats a purpose of having the computer. it's just like a carb then doesn't adjust it's stuck on one thing and that's it. Not to mention most ppl have more then one cat.

my guess is they think if they remove it and run catless it's gonna help a huge bit and it probably would help some, but it's just basically turning it into a carb'd old school setup, why even have computer then? I like the old school crap, I hate computers and sesnors.

As for why they do it no clue I don't like computer junk and don't mess with it much, but what I do know about it, is it helps save fuel by reading the o2 and adjusting accordingly. other then computer controlled transmissions and stuff.

Go ask them why they do it, and if you know you can why ask about it? I never heard of it being done, not tuned out. I heard of bypassing it and such, but mostly by guys who have one in front of the cats and one after, and they tune out or bypass the one behind the cat. I don't think the one in front of cats makes a difference whether or not you have cats, my 88 is tbi and doesn't have a cat and the o2 is in the header, I never get a code or anything. So if it doesn't throw codes and it's still in the pipe or header, there's no cat, why remove it? it doesn't seem to be hurting anything being there, unless it goes bad then it aint cheap. As for behind the cat, do it, I don't like cats, they are junk imo and another way to rob money from you.

ah i see now. i'm going to take a look under the truck. i'm pretty sure i'm getting mixed up between the egr and the first o2 sensor. now that you say that, i'm pretty possitive i've been seing people tune out the second o2 to run catless. it would make complete sense that way.