question for 4-6 drop and wheel choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammed57

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a 4-6 drop on a obs ccsb. not sure if iam goin to run 22's or a 20/22 combo. This will be a daily driver just have some questions and honest opinions to help make up which way i want to go with it, Any advise is appreciated being the wheels cost so dam much. Keep in mind i will be running billet specialties width 8.5 up front and 10.5 in the rear, and can choose just about any offsets needed

1. With 22's i see most are running 255/35/22... can a 255/40/22 be used?

2. how is the ride quality with 35 series compared to the 40 and if there will be any more road noise difference. ( i prefer a little more side wall just because its daily driven... Yes i know the 35's look better)lol
3. some people say they rub alot with 22's up front.. others say they don't rub at all. is this because of the off set they are choosing... or is it they ALL will rub and its just the nature of the beast.
4. has anyone had 22's up front and went down to a 20's and whats the reason why you did so.
5. as for the rear on a 22x10.5 wheel, what is the max off set to give me the most lip( i will do my own mesurements but just want something i can reference to see if iam doing it correctly) .. i have not dug into which tire on the rear as of yet but it will be a 45 series and be around a 10.5 wide tire (nice and square with the wheel.. just not into stretching the tire onto the rim)

Sorry for all the question and i have done A LOT of reading from some old threads but still have some questions, i do value all of your opinions and greatly appreciate it. Thanks again , Mike

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CCSB? Centurion? Or a 2500/3500 because it matters; a 4/6 drop on a 1500 is a lot more drop than on a 2500/3500 so wheel width and tire size will be a factor.

With any drop that is fairly level like a 4/6 on a 1500, I'm pretty much against big/little wheel combos like running a 20 up front and 22 out back, I know it's popular, but it usually ends up looking stupid to me. You have to pick a tire that has equal or more sidewall height in the rear and to get that you end up with a rake. If you run a tire with the same or near overall height as front then you have a much shorter sidewall out back, totally out of balance appearance-wise.

With a 10-10.5" wheel out back you'll want around 6-6.5" of backspacing just so that it will fit under the truck without having to narrow the rear end. When I put 20x10 Boss 338's on my '94, they had 2 choices - 5.5" and 6.25"; the 6.25" was perfect. The 5.5" would almost surely have hit the fender lip, even though I had already rolled it a little bit in the past. Don't make the mistake of cutting your rear fender lip out; I've seen bagged guys do it and it totally destroys the strength of the bedside and you end up with floppy bed.

Use Tire Rack and Discount Tire's sites to judge tire sizes against each other; especially the "specs" function on Tire Rack as you can see the available sizes in a given brand and what height and section width they have. Section width being the widest point of the sidewall, which matters to you since you're trying to tuck them behind a fender lip.

Richard

Slammed57

Reaction score
Thanks so much richard. You brought up alot of good point. It is a centurion 1500. I dont mind a little rake in stance. .. (gives it a little of a hot rod look) then again theres a member on here with a black crewcab with 22 novas that flat out looks awsome. . I believe its a 5-7 drop.. i dont think it will be good for a daily drive for me that is... iam also curiours about hearing from some that have a 4-6 drop on 22's running a 255 or 265/35/22 tire up front about ride quality compared to a 265/40 or45/22 . Thanks again richard.. you gave some great points for me to think about.