question about lift..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres the deal, i just bought a 4" lift from tuff country and have been reading thru the instructions to get familiar with them before i install, as i was reading i saw that it said i needed to order cv spacers for b/t the cv axle and the diff. it says to put two 1/4" spacers on each side so the cvs will plunge correctly. the lift is a full drop kit, are these really necessary? thanks.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for the price I would have went with the rcx, but it's not me buying it.

The rcx 4 inch kit is the exact same as the 6 inch kits, minus the add a leafs and it's a 5 inch drop, so you can decrank to get 4 and save front ends parts or you can crank to get the 6 inches.

The price difference is about $50.

Someone else might answer, or you should check with some of the other lift threads here. Then ask in them maybe?

Last edited:

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine is a full drop kit. and i use my bed quite a bit so i dont want it too tall. personal preference...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not a bad price, the rcx 6 inch is not a full drop only 5 inches, but for the same price and no headache of spacers, plus you don't have to crank it, leave it uncranked and get 4 inch and then leave out the add a leafs, or buy their 4 inch kit, same stuff minus the add a leaf and is about $50 cheaper.

Most of what I have saw until now the tuff country are knuckle kits like on that site, but yours being 8 luig appearntly isn't.

Last edited:

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I'm not making myself very clear...i already have the lift and everything and am going to install it, just want to make sure i need the spacers, instead spending the money on them and not need them. i figured that i wouldn't need them because the whole diff and upper and lower control arms are being physically lowered 4". I know it is a full drop kit b/c it has the whole subframe and brackets to lower the upper control arms and such..

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understood everything the first time I read it.

Call them and ask them what their purpose is since they were not in the kit.

I never said it wasn't a full drop kit. I can see the pictures, but what I had always heard was it was a knuckle lift, doesn't mean some are not like yours. Thing is I had heard they increase the track width being a knuckle kit, I could see the need for them, but in this case it's not that way it seems.

Ask them why you need them, ask em why they aint in the freakin kit when you drop a grand and 2 little spacers aint in it, how dumb. if you need em they should put them in the kit, they are dumb IMO for not doing so or so needing them. It just doesn't sound right to me, when it alll drops it all should be like stock and not need spacers. Now if it were a knuckle or increased track width then yes.

Last edited:

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
so my 89 was an old super lift so the drop wasnt a full 6 inch drop so my cv angle was pretty bad. i went through about 2 each side then i got the cv spacers and it helped out quite a bit but then i said bye bye IFS and sold it for the 94 SAS. so i would get the spacers just in case if you plan on using 4 wheel drive or a little wheeling

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea i plan on wheelin it, and i want to do everything right the first time, but dont want to spend money on things i dont need, i agree with you swims350 that its dumb they dont include them in the kit when i pay mucho dinero for it. thanks for the help!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea it sure is. I know what you mean because the last lift we bought, a rough country 4 inch for an 86 chevy(solid axle) was alright but our sway bar would not bolt up, had to call them and get the drop brackets. it liked to never bolt up then. Our problem was different though, they all said only 6 inch and up kits need the sway bar drops but ours would not bolt up.

But if they are telling you that you need them, That's BS they should be in the kit if you NEED them.

I'm curious as to how they work and where they go in at? I could see em in a knuckle kit or a not full drop kit, but with a full drop kit why? Doesn't seem like you'd need them