putting a 5.3 into 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am considering dropping a stock 5.3 into my 95. What exactly is involved on the wiring side of things. I am trying to look at other peoples threads and on other sites but too many people are giving different info its hard to keep up with whats correct.

I would prefer to keep my current transmission etc if possible just for the ease of the swap.

I know I need to upgrade the fuel pump etc.

If I leave the motor stock would I still need to get a tune because its in a different truck? or will it be fine as is?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can use your trans. I was able to use my 95's trans, but you will need a different flex plate because 5.3's use a tappered flex plate and you need a flat one several places sell the one you need, and a hub adapter, because of the difference in the torque converter snout. You could run it without a tune, but you will want one so that you can make things like you want, i.e. turn off emissions, delete rear o2's, etc. Good luck with the swap, you will enjoy the ls power!

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
After our swap, I recommend a high stall torque converter, the one for the 97 we did is wayyyy too low of a stall for the engine. Id suggest somewhere around a 2000-2500 rpm stall. The 305's and 350's make lots of low end power whereas an LS has a power curve higher in the RPM range...

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont daily drive my truck anymore. I would definitely get a tune. I would just want to be able to start it and move it if I had too. Using my stock transmission would be good. I have seen many 5.3 engines with ecm and wiring for 4-500 bucks around here.

So I would need...

- Engine
- Ecm
- Wiring Harness
- Motor Mount Adapters
- New Stall/Flexplate/Hub Adapter for transmission.
- Fuel Pump and related parts.
- Bracket to use stock a/c
- ????.....

Can you mount the ECM under the hood or does it need to be inside the cab?

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I missing anything major in my list of parts to get the thing bolted in and able to move under its own power?

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
If your estimating price, double what you currently think, because all the little stuff will eat you alive on cost. But that sounds about right so far.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not estimating price, just getting all the ducks in a row.

Can you mount those ECM under the hood?