Pulling Stock Manifolds on a 2000 L29 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my plan anway. About 99% sure I have a leak after 175K miles. Going to do a top and front end tear down and I'd really like to put some fresh exhaust manifold and possibly collector gaskets. Obviously soaking in penetrating oil is key here, but these studs and nuts are hammered. Has anyone attempted this and won? Tips, Tricks? I have an extensive list of tools at my disposal, as well as Kroil, Free, PB Blaster etc...

Wont be doing the job for another month or so, so I'm thinking maybe I should get started soaking them now?

White mule

Reaction score
I had to use map gas on torch to get mine off that had 173,000 miles it took some doing but I finally won. Heat up the surrounding metal and then wrench it off before it cools.

Michael Hall

Reaction score
I had to use map gas on torch to get mine off that had 173,000 miles it took some doing but I finally won. Heat up the surrounding metal and then wrench it off before it cools.

Yep. What he said! I use my acetylene torch to heat up those stubborn bolts and nuts. Like to get it red and while still glowing, put a 6 point on it. Sometimes you have to "Feel" the give so impact tools may not be a good option. Tom, you are doing the right thing by soaking the fastener with Kroil, PB Blaster, etc. You can also heat the fastener lightly and then use the penetrant to cool it down, the penetrant will wick into the threads better by using the heat.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are great ideas guys! Thanks for your input. However, I'll be putting this job on hold for a few more weeks because my front end needs immediate attention and now it has a hard starting issue so back burner for now.