Pulling 7.4 intake, other things to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathan wegner

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 97 K3500 with the big block. It's a crew cab dually 4x4, 4.10's and the locker, flat bed, pretty sweet. I'm going to be pulling the intake to clean it, doing a coolant flush since I'm going to be there and my radiator cap is leaking... I have the intake gasket set but I was wondering if there's anything else I should just go ahead and replace while I'm in there? I have a cap, rotor and wires on the way. Plugs, oil and filter, fuel filter... it has a little over 150K on it and has been used for commercial fishing in Bristol Bay so it's been hauling fish up and down a beach. Fuel injector o rings? Knock sensor? What's all underneath there? I've never wrenched on a 454 before...

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Injectors are usually an item that should be replaced on these trucks. The stock ones lead to a hot start issue (when hot the engine cranks for an extended period before starting) does your truck have any starting issues? Bosch 19lb injectors are the stock size replacement, you could go a bit bigger to something like LS1 injectors but then you need a tune (I recommend some sort of a tune for 454 trucks anyway, it makes a huge difference in how they drive). The fuel pressure regulator should also be replaced if that hasn't been replaced recently. Do you know if the PO did either of these things?

If you are unsure, a fuel pressure gauge would tell you a lot. Cycle the key on and see what the system primes to, key on engine off (should be 58-62 psi), then watch how fast it bleeds down. If it bleeds down fast, 20 psi in a minute for example (just throwing numbers here), then you probably need to replace those items.

nathan wegner

Reaction score
Haven't checked pressure but I have noticed that my fuel pump is loud as hell. When I first got the truck it had a hot start issue, since then I fixed a lot of grounds, chased some hacked up wires, found more, made a whole new headlight harness with relays after I seen how bad it was, rewired the nonfunctional auto start and got it working along with all my windows, courtesy lights and dome lights. I had to pull my entire interior apart! There was a couple holes in my drivers floorboard where there was once plugs and it was rusty af so I wire wheeled that and painted and sealed it up with sika-flex. So after installing the new stereo and replacing a ton of wiring and running redundant grounds, no more hot start issue. But I was thinking about looking at injectors because it has dual exhaust and I made a sweet intake. I think I'll go some porting and polishing when I get the intake off and try to get it all matched up. Who does tunes on here? I want to get some headers down the road and delete the egr, a/c, get dual electric fans... I've read a little about a few different cams and roller rocker set ups... I'm not looking to do anything too crazy with the 4x4 dually, I'd just like a strong reliable truck to haul 8000lbs of salmon and ice in totes on the back while towing my boat. And it's gotta sound mean while doing it. :)

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is interesting that your hot start issue went away with just fixing ground issues. I would still check fuel pressure though.

I'm curious about this intake, do you have any pics?

If you were going to do cam, headers and exhaust then some slightly bigger injectors would probably be a good idea, the stock size injectors max out around 310 hp I believe. There are some decent cams in the comp extreme energy line, check those out. Fair warning, cam swaps do get expensive since you have to swap the springs and convert to adjustable rockers.

Spend the money for a good set of headers if you're going to go down that road, don't cheap out.

EGR delete is easy in the tune, for whoever tunes it.

Not sure if there is anyone on here doing mail order tunes, someone like blackbear performance does them, or wait4meperformance. Otherwise you can buy a tuning suite and 0411 swap it if you feel like spending more money haha

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck. Sounds like you have a pretty concise list of stuff to do, and your wiring and redundant ground creating has probably eliminated a lot of problems and will prevent some future problems too, especially since you're driving it on the shores of Alaska in the salt. Stock fuel pumps on these trucks are loud to begin with so the fact you can hear it either means that its working properly, or if its louder than it should be, it might die soon. Mine is currently quiet and I'm fighting fuel issues. Don't worry about an EGR delete. Its not like a diesel where it will gain you anything like a lot of people think. There is a lot of tuning that goes into deleting it and I have read from several sources that it does little to no good at all. It only kicks in at partial throttle at highway speeds. Fuel pressure regulator and new Injectors will do a lot to solve start and run issues. You may want to look into replacing the OEM distributor. They were made of plastic and would easily crack and cause ignition issues as well. Since the Exhaust is already done, a tune from Black Bear Performance will do a lot to boost throttle response and low end. My truck has a slight tune and a high flow muffler with a 3" tail pipe and doing just those two things did a lot for my towing. Can easily tow 10K on the flats.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Listen to Christian... He's right about everything with these engines, and taught me everything I know about them.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could consider swapping in an adjustable timing set. The cams are set like 4-6 degrees retarded from the factory. If you advance the cam and get the ignition tuned up I bet you'd be very happy with the results. I'm considering doing the same thing myself, but the parts fairy stopped bringing me money to spend on it right now.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Listen to Christian... He's right about everything with these engines, and taught me everything I know about them.

I wouldn't say right about everything haha I just try to share what I've figured out so far, there are still things I probably don't know about them.

I can't remember if I PM'd you it, but you don't need an adjustable set just an aftermarket one to fix the 6 degrees of cam retard. I can't remember if I'm running double roller or not (I think I am), @cool_as_crap did you end up running double roller?

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did this a couple weeks ago. Not too complicated. Just be sure you don't lose a washer down in the engine like I did! Everything that has been mentioned should be addressed since you are already taking the time to take the intake off. Delphi fuel pressure regulator and injectors were the biggest improvements for me. I had warm start issues and the new injectors and fuel regulator took care of that. Also replace the little vacuum hose that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. Be sure it's able to withstand fuel/oil otherwise it will deteriorate quickly.

It helps to spray some penetrating oil up to 48 hours before you tackle the job as it makes removing everything easier. Do an oil change AFTER you complete the project because you may have some residual coolant in the pan after this job.

Also, make sure you look up all the torque specs for the manifold so you don't get a leak afterwards.

I have Gibson headers and exhaust on mine. Love them because it's a low rumble but not too loud with nice performance gains.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't say right about everything haha I just try to share what I've figured out so far, there are still things I probably don't know about them.

I can't remember if I PM'd you it, but you don't need an adjustable set just an aftermarket one to fix the 6 degrees of cam retard. I can't remember if I'm running double roller or not (I think I am), @cool_as_crap did you end up running double roller?
I just went single roller, didn't see the need for double.