Protruding headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlos127a

Reaction score
Hello i was recently gifted a used silverado grill and headlights from an uncle and fit right in place of the sealed beams but yesterday i noticed that the headlights come out a quarter to half an inch. Did i get the wrong headlights or brackets?

Thanks

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a changeover from the work truck single headlight grille to a Silverado style ? Are the lights stock or aftermarket? What flavor of truck? Year / Model?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a changeover from the work truck single headlight grille to a Silverado style ? Are the lights stock or aftermarket? What flavor of truck? Year / Model?
Don't think it's a conversion issue unless it's an issue with aftermarket composite lights vs. Oem composite .. if i remember right there are only 3 differant core support assembly's(info from looking up a core support on lmc website years ago) for the gmt400 platform and they are separated by year ranges not by what headlights go on them so that one thing that shouldn't matter. My 94 w/t 3500 had square lights and I converted to the oem composite lights without the lights sticking out. My 94 Silverado Z71 I replaced the factory lights with aftermarket and had them stick out. Replaced them with oem again and no stick out... I think it has more to be an issue with the lights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a problem related to a brand or two of aftermarket headlights. If I recall the old DEPO lights were bad about this. I've seen it in person a few times. Still have pics of a truck from inventory that had this going on and they were in fact DEPO brand and had the glue separation problem as well, where the lenses would fall off the housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
A set of lights I ordered years ago did this too. Got sick of it so bought some TYC oe looking replacements

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I'm sure you already got your answer, but I'm ditto-ing on this one. Had some aftermarket APC branded lights in the mid 2000's that bugged out from the grille by about that much.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I concure on it being a headlight issue. I swapped out my 99 w/t style grille & sealed beam headlights for a 98 composite headlight grille & 89 mini-quad headlights, perfect fit. only mod was the headlight pigtails

carlos127a

Reaction score
It went from wt to silverado its a 98 sierra sl. I dont know if the lights are oem they do look original. The grill was givin to me by an uncle so maybe he got me a grill and headlight from different year trucks. I dont know what you meant by flavor

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Flavor" just means make and model. You supplied the info . It is a work truck that has been given a Silverado style composite headlight grill. Most likely the protruding headlights are an aftermarket set that were made in such a way that they protrude. See the post # 6 above. A good way to check this would be to get an OEM set at the yard, install them and see if they protrude. If they don't you have your answer.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM lights say Sylvania or sometimes GTE Sylvania on the lens.

Money's on you not having OEM lenses. Some aftermarket lenses fit fine, some don't.

Richard