Project Storage Unit - 92 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Rather than pay $200/mo for a stroage unit for all my extra stuff since I sold my Burb, I figured I'd buy a truck instead :D

Ended up with a really nice condition 92 Chevy Cheyenne C1500. Yeah, it's a 305, but this truck isn't for racing. It has 240K on it, though the 700R4 was replaced a few years ago. Except for the blinker switch not returning to normal after signaling left and the radio being dead the truck is really awesome. For the last six years it was owned by a local car shop who bought if off a guy when he didn't want to pay for the work on it, and it's really clear that it was well taken care of. The guy that owned the shop for 15 years retired and sold the shop so he didn't need the truck anymore.

I intend to build my own storage solution in the bed of the truck that's flush with the top of the bed. I think the hardest part is going to be making it waterproof, but I'm creative :D

I did drive the truck long and hard on the highway for a few hours and when I got back the engine was definitely a little noisy. I don't think it's used to going 70+ mph. I think I'm going to do an oil change with Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 and see if the noise goes away - I have no idea what oil was previously used but I suspect he just put in his shop's bulk oil which was probably 5w-30, which might be fine around town but gets too thin when really working hard on the highway.

Finally, I wonder what would be involved in switching from the Cheyenne front end to the 95+ front end. The sealed beam headlights work great as they always do but it's just not so fancy looking...

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
headlight conversion is simple. get harnesses from a salvage yard and rewire it.
what's being stored in the bed? tools? toys? machines?

mistaake

Reaction score
headlight conversion is simple. get harnesses from a salvage yard and rewire it.
what's being stored in the bed? tools? toys? machines?

mainly tools and stuff like that. so, not really too temperature or vibration sensitive but definitely not stuff i want to get wet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rather than pay $200/mo for a stroage unit for all my extra stuff since I sold my Burb, I figured I'd buy a truck instead :D

Ended up with a really nice condition 92 Chevy Cheyenne C1500. Yeah, it's a 305, but this truck isn't for racing. It has 240K on it, though the 700R4 was replaced a few years ago. Except for the blinker switch not returning to normal after signaling left and the radio being dead the truck is really awesome. For the last six years it was owned by a local car shop who bought if off a guy when he didn't want to pay for the work on it, and it's really clear that it was well taken care of. The guy that owned the shop for 15 years retired and sold the shop so he didn't need the truck anymore.

I intend to build my own storage solution in the bed of the truck that's flush with the top of the bed. I think the hardest part is going to be making it waterproof, but I'm creative :D

I did drive the truck long and hard on the highway for a few hours and when I got back the engine was definitely a little noisy. I don't think it's used to going 70+ mph. I think I'm going to do an oil change with Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 and see if the noise goes away - I have no idea what oil was previously used but I suspect he just put in his shop's bulk oil which was probably 5w-30, which might be fine around town but gets too thin when really working hard on the highway.

Finally, I wonder what would be involved in switching from the Cheyenne front end to the 95+ front end. The sealed beam headlights work great as they always do but it's just not so fancy looking...

30W is one of the recommened oil weights for the truck. 40W will not perform any miracles. Oil does not get hot on the highway.