Project: Redux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to name this aptly "Project: Redux" as I'm reviving this burb.

It's a 1994 K1500 Suburban a buddy of mine bought for $350. Its got the L05 350, 4L60E, and the Np241 transfer case, GT4 code 3.73 gear ratio with G80 positrac. Blue cloth interior, tach cluster, aftermarket headunit and speakers, driver side front seat is busted. 7200 GVWR with the JB6 brake code.

He bought it and also bought a 1988 R10 squarebody to work on. They like most everyone had life throw a curveball and he was selling the 88, I sold a truck I was fixing for a profit and then bought that burb from him, had it for a bit and fixed a few things while he was working on this 94. The tires were bald and after pricing a set of 4 new 16" tires for it he went to a pawn shop that was having a wheel/tire sale, came upon a set of 22" wheels with new tires for $400 that had been mismarked so he got them for $200. He drove it for a little bit, then something started messing up with it again, I ruled it as transfer case low on fluid cause that's what it acted like and sounded like. Then one day a u-joint in the rear driveshaft decided to let go and he had to park the burb on a little driveway off the side of the highway. I went and got him from his place a couple days later and went and got u-joints for it and we pressed the old one's out and new one's in with my press there on the side of the highway at 8:30 at night lol.

Then on the drive home the damned thing started making this ungodly sound, and would make an occasional "chunka chunka" sound, vibrate like a SOB, and sound like a chain dragging. Figured the t-case let loose and that had been the issue with it the first time it made the noise. So he parked it for a few months, they only had an extended cab C1500 and he had to borrow a car from his sister. She wound up selling the car so it put his job in jeopardy. I went over Thursday to help pull the transfer case and replace it, but I didn't think that we could find another transfer case at a new pick a part salvage a few miles down the highway and not to mention didn't know if we could get it swapped out that day. I offered to sell him the R10 back for $500(paid him $1200 for it)if they could swing it. When they figured they couldn't and we were in that dilemma I offered to trade the R10 for this K1500. They needed it more than I did so he didn't lose his job and they could get the kids to where they needed to be comfortably.

Went to that damned pick a part place right after that, found two K1500 burbs with floor shift in the yard, they were missing the transfer case and transmission from under them. Passed em by and on the walk back decided to look in them front and back, lo and behold in the back of one the 241 was just sitting there, already pulled and all. We hadn't brought tools, just wanted to scope the yard first then get our tools lol. Loaded it up in a wheelbarrow and paid my $70 for it and away we went. The input shaft has a paint mark on it and it's really clean inside, thinking it might've been a rebuilt unit at some point not too long ago. Got back to his place, loaded it into the back of the K1500 and called a wrecker to come pick the K1500 up and bring it home. It runs and drives somewhat currently. Needs a tune-up, oil change, front brake rotors and pads, and the transfer case swapped obviously lol.

I'll post up the RPO codes and some more pics probably tomorrow after work.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Transfer case as we found it lol

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
what a story. that thing has so much potential. is this gonna be a slow build or quick? what are your plans? daily driver or flip? and i need some interior pics. the older interiors have become a favorite of mine.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slow lol. I do know I'm gonna ditch the wheels and rubber band tires in favor of possibly a set of NNBS wheels and mud terrains. Possibly a 3" suspension lift at most. It will be a daily once I get the title and tag taken care of and the transfer case swapped out. I might do an LS Swap sometime in the future, IDK yet. Plans usually change a bit when I'm doing things lol.

As for pics, it'll be tomorrow before I get some interior pics and more pics of the burb itself.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics as promised and requested!

Last edited:

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Wheels are Borghini B20 22" Chrome Frontals with Sumitomo tires

Last edited:

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
great pics. thanks. what are the dash switches and clifford light for?

TBH, I haven't even tried messing with them enough to figure it out. I flicked the green switch on to see what it powered but nothing came on. Light on the switch lights up so it has power. I didn't really get a chance to mess with it on my other day off as I was dealing with a water pump on my old man's 5.3 Trailblazer.