Power steering and hydroboost swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When did p/s pump pulleys become a 2 person job? :D They suck, but I've never needed more than my own 2 hands and my Lisle p/s pulley kit. Shame on you. ;)

Richard

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When did p/s pump pulleys become a 2 person job? :D They suck, but I've never needed more than my own 2 hands and my Lisle p/s pulley kit. Shame on you. ;)

Richard

Hazard Fraught kit. The bearing to keep the pulley from turning was terrible. Had to hold the pulley and wrench while another tightened it down.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's done. I will probably have to bleed more air out if the power steering system as I drive it around. At least the fluid isn't getting foamy. My initial impression with the steering is its heavier now and tracks well down the road. The brake pedal is very stiff now and will take some getting used to around town but for a panic stop it is amazing. I don't know if because I put on the NBS master cylinder it added to the firmness of the pedal or not.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What hydro booster did you use an what master?

I tried a gmt800 hydro master an it won't fit a Gmt400 master...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned having the booster machined. How much did you have to take out of it?

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after a week of driving I have to say I am very pleased with the improvements I've made. The power steering is a little heavier but much more connected to the road. I don't have the floaty feeling that the steering had before. After getting used to the very firm brake pedal I think the braking is vastly superior now. It may not be the best for slow stop and go traffic but for quick stopping ability it absolutely beats the old set up. Plus now I have the added bonus of doing engine modifications and not having to worry about vacuum for the brakes.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't get any pictures while I was installing it. I was too wrapped up in getting the work done, but here's the finish product.

You must be registered for see images attach

The hose that runs over the steering gear is the return from the cooler.

The truck got a quicky bath today, it nice to see it clean for a minute.

The wet spot on the driveway is where the power steering decided to take a dump.