possible re-wire of c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 91 C1500. I've replaced the TBI engine with a carbureted engine. I currently have a 700r4, but plan on swapping to the t56. Due to all the interior that is about to be removed from my truck, dash, carpet, seats, etc., and for the reasons I'm about to state, I'm considering re-wiring my truck. A lot of the wires have been tampered with previously. So many are cut, spliced, hanging, tied away, etc. There are a lot of wires not even being used and/or do not know if they're being used anymore. I know the wires for the old TBI setup are not in use, and most of them are gone. Also, I have no idea in the ECM/ECU is even serving a purpose with all the TBI and emissions stuff gone. Not to mention, wiring for fuel pump has messed up before, which I was able to fix. The turn signal fuse constantly blows, which I have yet to trace the cause. I'm afraid I'm going to keep having issues. So since I'm making everything else new I figured why not this, right? I've found a few universal GM truck harnesses(like PAINLESS) that seem like they'd work. They're complete with fuse box and all. Could I just remove the ECM/ECU completely and wire up a new harness? I'd just like to know that its all new and I don't have to worry about electrical issues down the road. And this is not my daily driver, so time is not an issue.

This is the second time I wrote this thread because the internet messed up, ugh! And it's getting late, so I may have left important stuff out, feel free to ask me anything.