Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremy allain

Reaction score
please help me guys I'm completely out of options and money 98 k 1500 z71 350 push button 4x4 I just bought it and it had a bad transfercase so I replaced the whole thing with new one and 4x4 still wouldn't work so I bought a new encoder still nothing then I replaced the switch and other sensors on the transfercase still nothing then I replaced the actuator nothing then I replaced the push button switch and nothing again so I took my old actuator and stewed a big bolt into the end of it and screwed it in and switched to 4x4 and that worked then the next day no snow so I unscrewed it to go back to 2x4 and when I needed it again I screwed it in now that won't even get it to work I just need to fix this the old owner looks like he left it plugged in when he took actuator out so wires look twisted so I went and got a new connector of another truck hoping that was it and nope it wasn't nothing I do can get the actuator to work when pushing the button I've tryed 4 different actuators I've put new diff oil and I checked for codes in it and it all just blinks once ever 3 seconds witch was told no codes stored so I'm lost when I push 4 hi just blinks and 4lo just blinks please try and point me what to do guys I'm ready to burn it lol

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap. Talk about a parts cannon. It sounds electrical to me since you've replaced literally everything else. check your wiring leading to the actuator. only money I'm betting you're going to have the spend is some tape to fix the short you have

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DAM.... the parts guys must love you...... not gonna be able to say this with out it sounding rude so here it is... do you not know how to diagnose things from the beginning?

You WILL need a multi meter, didgital is best but analog will work if you know how to read it, and a wiring diagram.

Start at the switch- does it have power, when you press it does it send a signal out?

Does the signal make it to the first location. If so does if leave from there if it's suppose to,
if not suppose to, does it energize what it's suppose to at that spot....

Just keep following the path. As mentioned above, I bet there is a short in the wiring somewhere.. probably the whole reason the transfer case didn't work in the first place to.

Start from the top and follow the path.

STOP THROWING PARTS AT IT... all your doing is feeding the parts guys commission check.

OK I'm done sounding like an a-hole(I'm really not, just a mechanic that's done this for years)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you just joined..... welcome aboard.. not trying to make you think we are all aholes.. we have ALOT of knowledge in our collective from many walks of life here...

What part of Maine you from? Born and raised in Maine and New Hampshire myself. Denmark and Fryberg area of Maine mainly but that was years and years ago kmow....lol..

jeremy allain

Reaction score
DAM.... the parts guys must love you...... not gonna be able to say this with out it sounding rude so here it is... do you not know how to diagnose things from the beginning?

You WILL need a multi meter, didgital is best but analog will work if you know how to read it, and a wiring diagram.

Start at the switch- does it have power, when you press it does it send a signal out?

Does the signal make it to the first location. If so does if leave from there if it's suppose to,
if not suppose to, does it energize what it's suppose to at that spot....

Just keep following the path. As mentioned above, I bet there is a short in the wiring somewhere.. probably the whole reason the transfer case didn't work in the first place to.

Start from the top and follow the path.

STOP THROWING PARTS AT IT... all your doing is feeding the parts guys

jeremy allain

Reaction score
No it's cool and yes I have done that with the multi meter and I got the 12 v there that's why I'm lost it all has power and grounds are good and I the transfercase was cracked bad from blowing a u joint a land throwing driveshaft

jeremy allain

Reaction score
I see you just joined..... welcome aboard.. not trying to make you think we are all aholes.. we have ALOT of knowledge in our collective from many walks of life here...

What part of Maine you from? Born and raised in Maine and New Hampshire myself. Denmark and Fryberg area of Maine mainly but that was years and years ago kmow....lol..

rdimamb

Reaction score
at the risk of sounding ignorant ( as I don't work constantly on my 98), when you changed the transfer case did you disconnect the battery? I had a similar problem: I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, connected it again and the 4x4 worked just fine. Just a thought.