Play in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have had this problem since the day i bought the truck, but i have always had about 1/2 inch of play in my steering wheel. im wantin ur opinions on some possible reasons it is doin this. i have a 1993 k2500ld....i really wanna tighten up the steering but i dont want to tear into the wrong thing and just throw parts at it and hope its fixed and not actually find out what exactly the problem is if that makes sense. please let me know, if i can get it figured out, spring break is comin up so ill be able to go home and fix it then.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
check the components for play. it could be just one thing or several parts going bad. start with the steering linkage and move to ball joints and wheel bearings. could also be in the gear box but i am not sure how to check that.

johnboy67

Reaction score
Crawl up under your front end have someone move your wheel back and forth while looking at all of steering linkages. I just replaced my pitman arm on my tahoe had alot of play in it. Had my seven year old move the wheel back and forth while I looked.

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome guys thanks so much for the info...it should really help alot when i go to try and get this thing fixed

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
When you go down the road with the steering wheel centered, does it veer off in one direction? I'd start with a rag joint, if that doesn't tighten it up, look at the pitman and idler arm, get Moog. If that doesn't fix it, check your steering gear box, a half inch of play is nothing really, if you can grab the wheel and do like 2-3 inches of play, then you've got a problem.

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright thanks....i mean its not gotten to the point where i have to worry about my life driving it but it is an annoyance and at times it is a little dangerous

irishluder

Reaction score
i know how you feel scharst... earlier this year I had 2 inches of play in the steering and i constantly have to center the steering or it will veer to the right or left lane.

I replaced the idle arm, pitman arm, and all tie rods... it helped but only slightly.

BTW what is a RAG Joint? and where is it located... I have a 96 2500