Plastidip ?s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would it be okay to plastidip my truck for the winter and then do bodywork the following spring? I need to fill the boxsides which are fiberglass, etc. There's a tiny bit of surface rust on the bed rails. How to keep that from rusting over winter until I actually can paint it?
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would hurt anything. You could try some kind of rust stop on the surface rust before the plastidip, but would expect it to do much. Rust ever sleeps....

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. Thank you much for the help. I guess I should just sand it down and call it good. I'm gonna be fixing it next spring anyways.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think the tiny bit of rust and the fact that it's fiber glass would make it harder to peel off?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id put some POR/tractor enamel or rust bullet on the rusty spots inside and out. paint is in no way a protectant to rust when its coming from the inside out.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
plastidip, if done correctly, will prevent further damage. sand and prime first. if too thin, it will peel on it's own. spray cans work but not as good as a gun.
i would leave bare and prep with high build primer in the spring.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you think just drive it the way it is for the winter? The underside is all rust coated. So no worries there

Yukon Territory

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do dip it put it on thick or good luck geting it off if its to thin it wont peel ran in to that a few times on customer cars that wanted to paint the car for real

CoolDude1975

Reaction score
So you think just drive it the way it is for the winter? The underside is all rust coated. So no worries there

I would definitely do the dip, for one it will make it look better but just make sure that you put at least 5-6 coats on it and invest in a decent spray gun for it. I've been thinking about doing it myself and I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and I've learned a lot so look on there and you'll get a good idea on how to do it right.