plastic repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was replacing the heater core and cracked the plastic cover. Do any of you know what type of plastic the cover is made from? If I can figure that out I can get the correct repair epoxy or maybe even plastic weld it back together.

Thanks.

MaghrabiSM

Reaction score
I have the same question too....

I need to beef up the partially crack in my dashboard it's 1993 C/K Blazer

Pictures or links will be great

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it is abs. And there is glue for it as some pipes are black abs. I tried gorilla glue on my 88 cover and it did not hold well. Depending on where it is you can duct tape the outside and use drywall patch screen on the inside to patch it and give strength to the repair. When dry (24 hrs for full cure) remove the duct tape. Put some on the previously taped area and light sand and plastic paint it.

Be sure to clean it well. Can wash with water and dawn, dry and then wipe with alcohol.

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Make some abs glue... Take some old abs part, break it up in small pieces and put it in a jar. Add some acetone and seal the jar. The abs will resolve in the acetone and you will be left with abs glue. I have done this many times in repairing interior parts of my 1988 c1500. Hope this helps

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What sgmbald1 says should work as it is more of a weld than a glue when the acitone melts the plastic. I have an tip that goes to my soldering iron that is flat ,round about half the size of a dime. I use that to weld plastic with good results. First I use the edge of the tip and go down half the thickness of the plastic and just make stiches about a 1/16 apart and when finishes put the tip flat and slowly go over it to smooth it out. Then do other side. I have repaired bumper covers,headlight mount tabs and all sorts of plastic this way. Even sunglass frames.

Baighn92

Reaction score
For ABS crack repair I used Oatey brand ABS cement and some fiberglass cloth.
Man, it worked great.

It's definitely for areas out of view. but if it's not in a spot you'd see, it works great, dries quick and paintable.

If you really want to strengthen a crack, cut a piece of ABS from a junk part and use it as a backer WITH the fiberglass...
I did this with my dashboard in my '91. The areas by the speaker and the mounts in the dash/defrost duct... was really happy with the result.
From my experience... Superglue and two-part epoxy does not adhere to ABS.

You must be registered for see images attach

ELBscorp65

Reaction score
Make some abs glue... Take some old abs part, break it up in small pieces and put it in a jar. Add some acetone and seal the jar. The abs will resolve in the acetone and you will be left with abs glue. I have done this many times in repairing interior parts of my 1988 c1500. Hope this helps

If you use a mixture of about 25% MEK & 75% acetone to dissolve the ABS in you will get a better cement. On motorcycle fairings I tape the backside then use an old soldering iron to create a V in the top side much like you would have to weld steel. Fill that in with your cement and once it dries good you can sand it down. Paint it and you wont be able to find the crack.