Performance Suspension Bits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
No, you don't have to. It would ooze out and waste the excess when the boots get compressed. They have a small amount of grease in them to survive install, or at least the Moogs I bought do

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always put a pump in and wiggle joint around then go until it seeps after it's installed with nut tight.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got everything put back together. Paid 2 different people on 2 different days from craigslist to put springs in. Both had mechanic backgrounds. I was sick of messing with them.
Put tires back on tonight and drove around the block.
I might need to bleed brakes again because sinks to the floor.
Will still need to take it an alignment shop. This weekend hopefully, but not sure because of my son's bday party and other son's soccer game.
Having wrapped this project up, it wasn't as difficult as I may have thought. I mean, i did have to uninstall/reinstall the stabilizer bar about 5 times, but who's counting?!?
The LCA's were a pia because they're heavy and awkward to put in, but overall there weren't that many things to take out and replace.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mikey48

Reaction score
Got everything put back together. Paid 2 different people on 2 different days from craigslist to put springs in. Both had mechanic backgrounds. I was sick of messing with them.
Put tires back on tonight and drove around the block.
I might need to bleed brakes again because sinks to the floor.
Will still need to take it an alignment shop. This weekend hopefully, but not sure because of my son's bday party and other son's soccer game.
Having wrapped this project up, it wasn't as difficult as I may have thought. I mean, i did have to uninstall/reinstall the stabilizer bar about 5 times, but who's counting?!?
The LCA's were a pia because they're heavy and awkward to put in, but overall there weren't that many things to take out and replace.
You must be registered for see images attach

I am doing the same thing on my 88 chev. When I torque the control arm nuts to the required 96 foot pounds it is very hard to move the control arms up and down. They are not to bad at 50 foot pounds. Thinking I might need to retorque after the have been used for awhile. Did you have this same situation?

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I first torqued them to spec but then had a hard time moving them around to replace spindle & everything, so I waited to torque until after that was all put back together.
Good luck on your reinstall.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I'm doing the exact same thing on my 1996 Yukon and ran into the same problem with the forks getting caught in the spring after installation. I was about to post nearly the same pictures until I found this thread. I have the same progressive/variable rate springs to install.

jjupiter100 do you recall how the mechanics managed to install the springs?

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I'm doing the exact same thing on my 1996 Yukon and ran into the same problem with the forks getting caught in the spring after installation. I was about to post nearly the same pictures until I found this thread. I have the same progressive/variable rate springs to install.

jjupiter100 do you recall how the mechanics managed to install the springs?

Anyone have success installing springs like this?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, i was able to get the variable rate springs installed.

I used a ratchet strap that connected the third coil from the bottom to the opposite side of the frame and a floor jack under the LCA. I kept the strap under a lot of tension as I raised the LCA until the spring made an initial pop into the LCA. The end of the coil got caught in the shock hole. Used the scissor jack to hold the edge of the coil spring end in position while slowly lowered the LCA until the strap pulled the spring over a little bit. Then raised the LCA so the strap could pull the sping over the rest of the way.