Performance Suspension Bits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I'm messing with front end stuff right now as well. I'll be making a second spring install attempt next weekend. Looks like we ordered the same spring. Have you gotten yours installed yet?

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Omfg, not really. It has been the biggest most difficult pia ever. It has to be 95% technique.
I bought a spring compressor from NTE weekend before last and I've compressed it as much as I can. I heard you can compress them about 3-4 inches.
but trying to get it to seat in the upper portion in the frame and then raise the lower control arm to meet it and then use a pry bar to try and scoot the lower portion of the spring into the lca recess is not happening.
By some stroke of luck I was able to get the bottom seated correctly and after putting some tension on the spring by raising the jack, the top portion kind of 'clanged' into place on Saturday.
I thought I was home free. and this was after repositioning the spring compressor about 20 times to get the hooks where I wanted them.
but it couldn't just be that easy. one of the spring coils was compressed too much on one of the upper hooks of the compression tool. so I tried taking tension off the spring by lowering the jack a little at a time and either wiggling the hook with my fingers or using a screwdriver and hammer to try and hit it towards the spring coil that was open a little more and I ended up lowering the jack too much and the spring fell back out.
so I've been messing with it for probably 8 hours total.
I finally broke down on Monday and posted on craigslist to see if someone could come help me. I wanted someone that does this $hit for a living and could do it in like 5 minutes. I got someone who sounded pretty legit and he came out and helped me. $75 and about 45 minutes later he got the spring in there fairly easily and I thought all was good. Paid him and sent him on his way. only to then realize one of the compression tool hooks was stuck again. :flame:
so I've still been working on getting that stupid hook out without lowering the lca very much. I've gotten it to move about 1 inch towards a wider part of the coil.
I know i'm not always so smart, but this process so far has proved to whoop my a$$. Didn't help that this weekend was hot and I have no shade in the afternoon and i'm just frustrated.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and I hate these instructions that just say do the reverse of taking it apart. it ain't just that easy!

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Yeah, this spring, man. I figured where to face the forks (didn't think about the hooks getting trapped) started compressing it, got it down an inch+, and the compressor was way off center. I reset and it still wouldn't stay straight. I don't trust these things enough to get my fingers and face in harms way. I'll have the confidence from desperation next weekend hopefully. I don't get why these springs are so much thicker than original; and all the springs on Rockauto are about the same size, if I remember right. I may check with the local parts house and see what they have.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I bought the light duty ones for a truck with a/c. didn't think they'd be so much thicker. I've thought about just putting the originals back in and calling it a day. but I don't want to let these get the better of me.
there's a trick to getting the hooks in the right spots to compress the spring so that it arcs a little bit. it needs to arc outwards for a much easier install. but I can't ever seem to get the spring to arc the way I want it to.
i'm not too worried about the spring unloading on me as I put the knuckle back on, so it's not like they'll go flying apart on me.
I keep hearing good things about OEM brand and I think I like the look of their compression tool. i'm guessing the bottom plate piece just fits under the lca and the set of hooks can go a little above mid spring and it looks like it could be compressed enough to fit in their nicely.

Again, I think most of it is technique. and with me not really knowing what i'm doing, it's hard doing it by myself. 22 lb spring isn't a lot, but when i'm either laying down or trying to fit it in there and raise the lca before I can get the jack under there is not easy.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's very much technique. I can tell you I've never used a spring compressor and I've dropped several GMT400's as well as put stock springs back in. Putting stockers back in without a spring compressor is a bit tricky but I've done it. Maybe just a fresh look at it when you're not already out there all sweaty and frustrated, and you'll get it.

Not gonna say it's super easy work but it's not difficult either.

Richard

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I would love to reinstall what I removed; they were lowering springs, they slide back in real nice. I can't get the new spring anywhere close to where it should be on the control arm without the compressor. Technique is everything.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did this 3 times about 3 week ago ago, traded my spindle for a stocker so I could go with djm drop arms, dropped both sets of springs in about 45 minutes, (I had fresh bushings and chopped lowers to clear th guys 15s so we did spindle and lca since i was going to be replacing with new ones anyway, and had about an hour and a half, best way I found to do it was jack the frame up set it on stands good and solid, try to get as much lift out as you can, then use 2 floor jacks and a couple screw drivers or small pry bars and hopefully a line up punch, just set the coil in place on the bottom and let it float into the top, jack slow till there is slight pressure, pull out line up coil into seat and keep pumping use the pry bars to tweak the lca to the outside of the car, or pull from the lower ball joint to get the lca to clear into the pocket... if your doing djm drop control arms, that's a completely different monster, it took me like 2 hours a side by myself to make everything get into place like it should have been by myself took 3 pry bars a come along and 2 ratchet straps roflmao... ride is phenomenal though.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented the OEM spring compressor tool from autozone this afternoon and was finally able to compress the bottom coils enough to reduce tension on upper coils to get the hook out.
If i don't return tool in 90 days, they consider it bought by me. Not bad for $54.12.
I can finally start reassembling the passenger side and then start tearing down the drivers side.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am i supposed to add grease to the fittings before torqueing down?
I.e. upper/lower ball joints & outer tie rod