Performance Suspension Bits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also weigh 22.2 lbs whereas the old ones weigh 17.3 lbs each.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also weigh 22.2 lbs whereas the old ones weigh 17.3 lbs each.

The new springs you have sitting there are progressive rate springs. You're comparing apples to oranges. Progressive rate springs are designed to give you a softer ride over small bumps or when empty but when loaded or going over larger bumps the stiffer rate then applies because those tightly wound coils bind and only the more spaced out coils can travel.

Because they're not the same type of spring it's tricky to guess how they will compare in terms of ride height. You're just going to have to put them in and see. Also keep in mind they will "settle" some over the first few months. Not much though, maybe only a few millimeters.

Let me echo what was said earlier about not needing new control arms. Keep in mind there's a reason they're not much more expensive than just new ball joints. It's because they put the lowest quality ball joint in there they can. Stick with your plan to spend a little extra money on a premium ball joint from Moog so they don't wear out on you again two years down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The new springs have a tapered end. Does that go on top or bottom?

Too late on the control arms. The new ones came with Moog ball joints.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The new springs have a tapered end. Does that go on top or bottom?

Too late on the control arms. The new ones came with Moog ball joints.

If by tapered you mean the thickness of the coil is ground flat, I think that end goes up in the frame, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if you look at the control arm it should be obvious which end goes on there. If not, take some more pictures of what you're looking at and share them here. There should have been a piece of rubber that came out also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You'll notice there's a "flat" end and an "open" end of the coil spring; the "open" end fits into a sort of socket in the lower control arm. As andy mentioned there's a rubber insulator too that goes at the top, into the frame's upper seat for the coil.

As far as those new control arms coming with Moog joints, dunno. Moog has grades of parts as do many suppliers. Some of their lower end stuff is garbage, meant just for the low price market.

Richard

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You're unable to see it in the pic I took, so I can take another one. But the new spring is setting on its tapered end. the other end is round all the way. the old spring was round on both ends of the spring.

There was only 1 rubber insulator piece and that was on the lca. I have a new replacement for that that I ordered online.

Also, the bump stops i bought are not bolt in like my old ones. Doesnt look like they'll fit unless it cut the bottom part of the rubber pull through or i cut a piece of the lca.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Look at your own pics again during disassembly. That rubber isolator goes at the top.

There is one for the lower end but it's not actually a GMT400 piece; it's a piece from the vans of the same era - I got some from the dealer years ago and they were nice urethane pieces that were formed to fit the pocket in the LCA. On the GMT400 trucks the spring just goes bare against the LCA.

If you look at your old springs you'll note the way the coils are wound there is a "flat" end, or at least an end that is flatter in terms of being a circle; that one goes up. The other end is more of cut off in the arc of the coil. That one goes down, and you'll notice it fits the shape of the pocket in the LCA. Your new springs may or may not replicate that design..

Richard

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right about the rubber isolator. thanks for pointing that out!

and I'll put the tapered end up. I'll have to look at them next time I get a chance to see if the originals had any kind of taper at all.

When the LCA came in, only one of the bushings was pressed in already. The other was loose. I'm hoping it didn't have to be press fit in before installing on my truck. I was able to get it in there and tighten everything up, so hopefully no issues.

As for the bump stops - the original was a bolt in and there are two holes in the LCA. I have been unable to find any originals like this and the ones that are now offered have no bolt. I think I will just buy another style of bump stop that is bolt in and call it a day.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man, I'm having a hard time telling from the pic - the loose bushing, does it have a metal shell around it or is it just the rubber? It shouldn't have been easy to install into the LCA without pressing it in. See the one that was already installed, it's got a metal shell around it, that has to be pressed into the LCA.

Richard

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one that was already pressed in looks like it was flared out after installation.
I was able to get it fit into the opening in the frame and tighten it down.
Do i need to remove it and have it pressed in properly?