PassLock or VATS (My truck wont start now)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I did a manual swap on my 98 k1500 5.7 vortec I got my clutch pedal, flywheel, clutch and sm465 installed and the truck wouldn't crank over (knew it wouldn't because the neutral safety switch from the 4l60e wasn't plugged in) and after a while I figured out if I wire the purple wire to the other purple wire with a white strip on it that it will crank and start and it ran fine. I shut it off and just tried to start it again and it runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off. Could my manual swap kick the VATS on? on a side note The battery has been taken out too. Is there a way to reset this?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try to start the truck, leave the key in the run position after it dies. Wait 10 minutes and shut off key, wait 5 seconds. Repeat 3 times.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's running for 3 seconds I doubt it's passlock kicking in. Passlock kills the engine immediately - as in it will start and then shut off like a light switch, not 3 seconds later. Immediately. And the "security" light on the dash would be flashing.

Richard

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I know its been a while since I have been on here but I did the procedure to reset passlock and the truck runs and drives great.