Parts list for my front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Sierra

Reaction score
It's payday so the parts are bought! I should be able to get this done in the next few weekends and I'll update this thread with some pics. I couldn't seem to find any lower control arm/ball joint assemblies for my '99, so I'm going to keep the original lowers and just replace the bushing and ball joints. I'm also leaving the steering shaft and steering box, I'll replace those if this does not tighten the steering up. New tires & alignment after this is all done too. Here's the final parts list:

L/R inner tie rod end
MOOG ES2838RL $18.51 @ rockauto.com (x2)

L/R outer tie rod end
MOOG ES2836RL $26.79 @ rockauto.com (x2)

tie rod adjustment sleeve

MOOG ES2004S $8.65 @ rockauto.com (x2)

idler arm
MOOG K6447 $43.79 @ rockauto.com

idler arm bracket assembly
MOOG K6722 $55.79 @ rockauto.com

pitman arm
MOOG K6335 $30.79 @ rockauto.com

center link
MOOG DS1407 $37.79 @ rockauto.com

stabilizer bar link

MOOG K700539 $12.59 @ rockauto.com (x2)

stabilizer bar bushing kit
MOOG K6455 $9.92 @ rockauto.com

L/R lower ball joint
MOOG K6477 $29.79 @ rockauto.com (x2)

L/R lower control arm bushings

MOOG K6329 $19.32 @ rockauto.com (x2)

L upper control arm
MOOG RK620720 $33.27 @ summitracing.com

R upper control arm

MOOG RK620719 $33.27 @ summitracing.com

Total cost = $508.67

This post on GMT400.com was helpful in determining what I needed to buy:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/rebuilding-the-front-end-on-my-98-tahoe-4x4.24632/

And here's another good post from gmtruckcentral.com that details the front end rebuild process:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/Steering.html

Last edited:

Charlton

Reaction score
I just replaced all ball joints, all tie rod ends and sleeves, pitman arm and idler arm. All Moog parts. I saw the cheaper stuff but I don't want to do this crap for a while again! Bought my stuff from Summit Racing. Wanna say it was all about $650 with 4 Rancho RS5000 shocks. Cost me over $200 at alignment shop. Charged me $49.95 for the alignment and $65 per side to remove the " knock outs ". So I want it to last.

Edit: and my steering box has slack in it so won't be long and I'll replace it. That a another $250 or so I think!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'll just throw this out there, and get flamed for it, but whatever.

My brother just bought an entire front end rebuild kit from Amazon for 100 bucks. For 100 bucks, it's worth a shot, even if he has to do it again next year lol.

Charlton

Reaction score

My brother just bought an entire front end rebuild kit from Amazon for 100 bucks. For 100 bucks, it's worth a shot, even if he has to do it again next year lol.

Matter of opinion I guess. $100 again, truck needs work again, valuable time used to work on truck again, alignment again, hopefully you haven't worn out your tires. Not my cup of tea.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Matter of opinion I guess. $100 again, truck needs work again, valuable time used to work on truck again, alignment again, hopefully you haven't worn out your tires. Not my cup of tea.

Indeed, he has a 1200 dollar truck, and it'll likely be in the scrap yard in a year, his tires are used CL tires, and he's under no keeping it forever delusions lol.

Quovardis

Reaction score
Pretty much did the same thing to my newly bought 98 K1500.

Didn't need to replace the center link but did the Steering Gear/Pitman/Idler & Mount/Inner & Outer Tie Rods/Lower & Upper Ball joints/UCA bushings/Bearing Hub/Rotor/Brake Pads.

The only thing I would add to the list is the Camber Bolts..... mine were seized and I also needed the knockouts removed so was unable to get the alignment done. Bought a Kobalt Air Hammer from Lowes to get the knockouts out for around $30...a lot cheaper than paying someone to do it.

One final thought...Stabilizer Bar Bushings they were cheap and the old ones were pretty worn out

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did this project turn out?

Gregory

Reaction score
Another quick question - I've noticed that it is hard to turn the wheel when not moving or at very low speed. Is this steering box related? I'm wondering if replacing all the parts I've listed will solve this. I've also seen some other posts that also suggest the power steering pump may be bad too. Fluid levels were OK at last time I checked.
I had a similar problem with my Peugeot in Europe. Turns out to be a ball bearing that's on top of shock absorber, that fallet a part.

99Sierra

Reaction score

It turned out well - the steering is tight and it feels like new. I had a friend from work come over on a Saturday to help me and we were able to get through the upper control arms & ball joints, the steering linkage, pitman arm, and idler arm. Ran out of time, that took us a full day. I also didn't want to mess with the torsion bars on the lowers, so my friend recommended a guy and I took it to his shop to have him complete the lower control arm bushings & ball joints and the sway bar bushings. And I had an alignment done too. After all the work the steering is rock solid, and the "wandering truck syndrome" is completely gone. Cruised at 75 down the highway and it felt like a brand new truck. I also threw on some new brake pads in front as long as I had the calipers off, and inspected the shocks (all good!).

Unfortunately I didn't take many good photos documenting it, just too messy to fiddle with my phone. Here's a few I did take.

You must be registered for see images attach

New uppers and steering linkage installed:

My work complete, off to the shop to finish:

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's great to hear!

I'm debating on whether or not to mix in some Poly bushing from energy suspension. They have a Control arm Kit for both the upper and lower arms.

However, I really like the idea of the full upper arms you used. Each pre-assembled arm is going to save me at least an hour of install time and headaches. The price is basically the same.

I really want the steering to be firm like new.