Painting with POR-15.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any issues brushing on POR-15 gloss black? The first coat I put on is nearly clear. I stirred and and shook the paint before applying it. The surface is majority plain steel that has been sanded down to 80 grit and I used metal prep on it before painting.

moremudd

Reaction score
I have been a little discouraged with POR-15 , for me it just didn't want to harden for a few days so dust and bugs were a headache , but I did mix it with a drill attached mixer , so color was no issue . For me I noticed the pigment separated after a few days in the can and I had to mix it every time I used it . Maybe my problems were related to the high humidity ? I did use it during 90+ deg days and about 70% humidity with tons of never ending wind . I don't think I will ever use Por-15 again because of it not being user friendly for me . If you are just getting clear I would think that is a separation issue and it needs to be mixed better . If it has been on a shelf for a very long time it helps to add a marble into the can before shaking it to get the thick sludge at the bottom to stir into the rest of the mix .

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd call them to ask their advice. I used it (only once, but a big job) and had no problem with it.

Richard

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Never had it go on clear, your color is most likely in the bottom of the can. Stir it until you can push the stir stick in the bottom of the can and bring it out and there is no bulge of paint stuck on it where it is thicker and settled.

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you pretty much spray POR 15 on everything on the underside of the truck? Been tricking about doing this, before the rust get too bad.

Disney

Reaction score
I've had the clear paint issue too, I just hadn't stirred enough. Other than that i've had great success with it. Stops rust dead in it's tracks. It can be thinned out and sprays, but I generally just brush it on as-is and let it go. It flows out really nice. Try to stir the paint and not shake it. Shaking it puts air int he paint that will not gas out before it's set up and you end up with air bubbles in the finished product.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please. Please. PLEASE go read the FAQ on POR-15's site. https://www.por15.com/POR-15-FAQS_ep_61.html

But the main thing I'm gonna go ahead and point out here, if you are going to SPRAY POR-15, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Moisture is what catalyzes this paint. So if it gets in your lungs, you are literally straight up screwed in a very bad way. Wear an organic vapor respirator mask if you're going to spray POR-15. I'm not kidding...it will mess your lungs up bad otherwise, this isn't a "oh I've sprayed lots of cars without a mask" type situation. POR-15 is different altogether.

Also you should stir, not shake, POR-15.

Richard

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
POR 15 is good stuff.. just have to cover any spots exposed to UV light.. or it will peel off.. did the back side of some bumpers and it peeled right off... I think there's a UV protectant for it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

94_Z71

Reaction score
I did my entire undercarriage with it about 3 years ago. Never had it go on clear. It's held up well. There's a couple spots where it's worn off from jacking the truck up, but otherwise that stuff is hard as a rock once it's dry. A word to the wise though: take every precaution you can to keep it from getting on your skin. Once it's on your skin, it ain't coming off for days.