Overhead consoles in a single cab - 2 door ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That foam is a requirement in order for the headliner fabric not to look like the surface of the moon when it's applied to the panel.
The factory H/L material has that foam bonded to the fabric.
Yea. I agree. That foam is the partially the prob, in addition to the fact that the bonding agent between the fabric & the material eventually will die, resulting in you wearing the damn thing! Lol!
The reason that that material is used is because of it's light weight. Important in the material retaining the ability to stay put.
The headliner actually puts up with a fair amount of stress. 70mph with the windows open & the H/L is being beat up pretty good by the wind. Heat, cold & condensation also play a role in the death of headliner fabrics.
But, if you'd like to do your H/L like mine, I'd recommend that a 1/8" thick closed cell foam be used. It's just enough to make the fabric over top look good & it's light enough in weight to be supported by the glue used to glom it onto the panel.
The skin of the CC has to be broken some for the glue to get a grip. Otherwise, that surface is too slick for the glue to do it's job. Not only does that foam have to support itself but also the fabric.
I use a piece of 80 grit sandpaper. Lightly drag it across the side to be glued to the panel first. In 4 directions. Up & down, across, & then in both 45* angles to that.
Use GOOD glue. 3M 'Spray 90' is about as good as it gets for the average home job. Normally I'd also recommend 3M 'Spray 76' for H/L's, but not in this application.
Even then, I still wouldn't be comfortable charging a customer good money & then have to stand behind my workmanship for the year that I warranty my work for.
I use a glue called 'Weldwood Landau Top & Trim Contact Adhesive'. Available in 1 or 5 gallon cans. Not cheap! A 5 gallon can costs me a little better than $300.00 now, & lasts the shop maybe 6 months.
It has to be sprayed. A regular automotive siphon type spray gun works best. No HVLP guns. The glue is too thick for those.
Once that CC is down, then the exposed surface also has to have that skin broken before the material can be applied.
The material itself is regular perforated automotive grade vinyl. (Mold & mildew resistant. UV stabilized.)
But, once again, that stuff is heavy when compared to the original type H/L material.
So, I will lay down a couple of coats of the glue on the foam, letting it dry to the touch between coats.
Letting it dry is important.
The glue itself is a solid & is held in suspension by various (nasty!) chemicals. Those chemicals need to breathe off. Otherwise, if the glue is still sticky wet when the vinyl is applied, those chemicals will continue to breathe off, resulting in trapped bubbles between the foam & the vinyl.
If your chemical sensitive, wear a mask. Not a paper particle mask. A real mask with proper chemical filters installed.
One decent coat on the vinyl is all that's required. The vinyl can be rolled onto the H/L+foam when that coat on the vinyl is just slightly tacky.
Use a roller to make a permanent adhesion. Just working it down with your hands is not good enough.
That glue gets stronger with age.
If after all this, you are still interested in attempting this project, I can give you pointers on some tips & techniques on how to actually lay down the materials so that it all looks pro done.

Last edited:

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Not sure if I will try it myself or take it somewhere. The fabric on my headliner is just starting to droop and is worn through at the sun visor area and dropping foam. I have been thinking about this the last couple of weeks and been meaning to do a forum search or ask the question; "has anyone tried this and how does it look?" Your pics show me that it can look good if done well. Would be cool to get visors done to match.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine much the same as sewlow. No issues you can tap off dome light to get map lights working.

Question...

Doing this, will the Map Lights come on with the dome lamps (switch and door), and then indiviually with the switches on the map lights?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fed off the map lights at the dome light but they do not come on when the door opens. I am sure you could wire them to do both but with the dome light and two led's under the dash I can see fine to get in and out.
As far as using as map lights I use the console light more than the original as you don't have to reach back.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Or...if you want really bright light, you could convert that front door into one big light.
The lens is from an S-series SUV overhead light. It snaps right into place!

You must be registered for see images attach

With one or two 12v 48smd LED panel lights mounted inside. (2 will fit! Maybe/probably even 3! That'd be 144 smd's! Yikes! Flame on!)
Like this one...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fed off the map lights at the dome light but they do not come on when the door opens. I am sure you could wire them to do both but with the dome light and two led's under the dash I can see fine to get in and out.
As far as using as map lights I use the console light more than the original as you don't have to reach back.

Rob, I agree on that. I just put an LED in the main dome lamp as well as the floor lights, and it is nice and bright. I figure, I am putting them into the truck, why not get the functionality? I wonder how hard it would be to get it working.

Sewlow, that is amazing! That would make it nice and bright for people, and probably best for people who work in their truck at night. That may be a bit too much for me, and I would like to use that door for a garage opener one day (when I go to own a home...)

Thanks for your input guys. Sorry if it seems like I took over the thread! Not intended, just asking a question!

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got mine in finally - installed in my 89 ...the last compartment near the back window I modified to make it more useable and glued some netting in it to use it as a storage bin. Nothing can fall out now when it hangs RCSB

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AN HVLP gun work great and allow greater control at low air pressures. This helps to avoid overwetting the material with the glue.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/..._content=Vehicle Maintenance - Vehicle Paints
You can find the gun cheaper, that is just a Google link.
This is a great all around gun, I use non pressure cups for most things. The pressure cup also sprays undercoat and bedliner.
I used a thicker fabric on my headliner to avoid the foam. Multiple skinny coats of adhesive so it didn't soak thru.
I did a lot of testing on scrap pieces first.
It's a little thick for the visors, I think it would look odd so I am keeping the stock visors for now, I have a set of lighted ones for later.
After getting the headliner so nice, I couldn't cut it to install the overhead console. Plus we are a tall family, I thought the kids might hit their heads in the middle seat.