Other Method of Installing Fender Flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Hello all,

So, it has been one year since my truck got repainted. Fender flares have been wanting to come off. We did not drill any holes for them and don't want to, since I don't want to mess with the body. We used 3M double side tape and that doesn't seem to work for these flares and we've actually glued them, but that started to come off as well. Is there a different method I can do to save these? I saw Bushwhacker had edge trim for their flares on the 99-06... Is there a place I can buy this edge trim? Has anyone else figured out a way to install these flares without having to drill any holes? My flares came off a factory truck.

Whoop, found the edge trim, has anyone had good feelings about these?: https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-0...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Reaction score
You may be able to use clips like the ones in that kit to hold the flare to the inner fender lip, how far back (from the outside to end of the flat part in the wheel well) do the fenders go vs. the flare? Have any pictures?

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
one very important key to get 3M to stick is by removing wax, dirt, oils, etc from both surfaces. rubbing alcohol is crap for this. i laugh and throw a few cuss words when i open the box and an alcohol handi-wipe falls out. use a grease cutter: Varsol, brake cleaner or similar works.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
@deejaaa, the fender was spotless when we put it on as it just had been painted 2 days before back in 2016.

@Colonel Sanders, I will get some pictures here in a bit. The fender is just the factory size as it came off a true 4x4 2500 pickup. :) We put the 3M tape on the outer lip of the fender, we did nothing to the inner except the bolts that held it under the fender like the factory did on the bottom lip.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Here are pictures as requested (if they are not good enough, please let me know and I can get better pictures tomorrow):

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is how they are bolted in from the bottom, factory holes:

These are the things I am talking about that annoy me. Just makes it look like it will rust the fender faster with these holes at the top.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i had a set of aftermarket and the inside lip was pretty large for the tape. maybe the OEM doesn't have enough lip and won't work without the bolts. not sure as i haven't seen factory flares.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
IIRC, the inside lip was exactly the width of the tape.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I would just drills the holes to mount it. Tape the fender, drill, touch up the holes, bolt them down. If you do this, you'll be done with it

Yukon Territory

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The after market ones install with tape if replacement is an option and also the front flares on the 99 -00 obs z71 tahoes would work too they were updated to tape on instead of bolt on