Options to replace or upgrade torsion bars? Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
So I am about to do all of the front end bushings, shocks, and ball joints on my k1500 suburban. Since the lower control arm bushings are on that list I was thinking It would be the prefect time to replace or upgrade the original torsion bars. With 245k miles on them I would assume that they could be worn and replacing them would improve the ride quality. Has anyone found that replacing torsion bars gives any benefit?

I have had little luck finding stock replacements, or any upgrade. I recall hearing about some "sway away" torsion bars a while back but believe they have been discontinued. Any news, alternatives, or ideas here?

The burb is a DD, stock height, no lift plans but does see mountain trails occasionally. Just want a good ride quality back.

Also side note: I replaced the middle body mounts (under the B pillar) with the GMT900 truck ones. I think I may ride rougher now, but not totally sure.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
There aren't many new OEM torsion bars around any more. You'd need the numbers off the stickers on them to really know for sure. They are available aftermarket, but for big bucks.