Opinions on trans. sourcing/swap, 1999 Suburban C1500 (4L60E)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I'd like your opinions.

I have a 99 Suburban that I've put a lot of work into in recent months, and mostly the truck seems to be in great shape (now). I'll put a list down at the bottom of what I've done to it in the past year and a half (purchased October 2015)

The truck has 208K miles. Pretty sure engine and trans are both original. I'm guessing the trans is on a short fuse although I can't say it's misbehaving at all. I don't tow much, we pull a modest weight camper (maybe 3,000-4,000lbs loaded) a few times per year on 400 mile round trips.

I pulled the pan a few months ago and put in a new filter, and there was only a trace of metal fuzz/clutch material on the magnet, so I'm pretty sure the trans isn't YET consuming itself. Fluid was still red with a hint of dark/brown.

When the time comes, I'm likely going to need to swap the trans. I'm not interested in doing a 4L80 swap, since I don't tow anything of any mass and I prefer the lower gearing of the 4L60. But I would prefer a 4L60 that's been built better than stock. Firmer shifts, etc. This is mostly a daily driver and family hauler.

Can you guys make a recommendation? Trying to avoid any reflashing of the computer, looking for the closest thing to a direct swap as I can get. I am mechanically inclined enough to do the things you see listed below but I'm not interested in rebuilding the trans myself. Just not going to have the time for it, but I can probably do a trans swap just fine.

Purchased Oct 2015 with new radiator already installed.
Since then, I've done all the following myself:
new water pump
new front brake calipers/pads and brake fluid
New plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor.
New rear brake shoes.
Swapped trans filter and pan with a drain on it.
Swapped about 1/2 the trans fluid with Valv Max Life (Dex 6 approved)
Swapped u-joints although they turned out to be OK.
Flushed out old power steering fluid with Valv. Max Life. Old stuff smelled burnt.
Swapped rear end--- ring, pinion (Motive 410's), all 4 bearings.
Swapped differential for Eaton Truetrac
Swappped intake gasket with Fel-Pro

Engine is excellent-- new intake gasket, coolant was very clean when I got it, engine oil stays looking transparent even after 3000 miles (5W30 Penzz Plat synth) on a 7-8K mile interval.