Opinions needed: Mod the 350tbi? or upgrade to 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to be ok with the 6.5. Now I own a 104k 6.5 boat anchor. I do agree that the 6500 optimizer is better but I just simply can't justify the cost when there are better options for similar costs.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$25 fuel pump isn't worth the box it's in. Testing isn't a pain in the ass, it's good procedure. :)

If you actually have the granny low then your truck was optioned with the NV4500 which is a great transmission. ONLY use the recommended lube indicated on the side covers, otherwise known as "GM Synthetic Transmission Lubricant"

You can find gear/RPM calculators all over the net that will tell you your RPM's at a given speed with a certain gearset.

If you have 3.73's it shouldn't be a problem putting 4.10's in the rear, not sure about the front as I'm not a 4x4 guy.

Richard
I'll have to look up how to test the fuel pressure. I've done it on other cars, hopefully there is an easy method :)
Good to know about the nv4500, I was wondering about that after seeing all the nv4500 swaps done here lol
You can really wake up a TBI 350 with some minor mods. I wouldn't trade it in for a different truck until you try a few proven mods and see how it reacts first.

Ultimate TBI mod with adjustable fuel pressure regulator
radiator E-fans
fresh tune up with fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, air filter, fresh oil, etc
do whatever you can with the exhaust while still being California legal like long tubes into an H-pipe then into high flow cats and dumped before the rear axle, all mandrel bent 2.5" with mufflers of your choice.

Gearing would be my last resort since its the most expensive but it would be a very effective solution to your problem.
That ultimate tbi mod seems like something I would lose patience mid-modifying and break the TBI unit.
Exhaust is a good idea but somewhat pricey.
If I did though would a single 3" be a good size? Or would I lose too much back pressure? (time to search)
Yeah not a lot of options on the Cat in CA though :(

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the 6.5 input, but after much research and testimonials I'll steer clear of the 6.5.

The other option besides a 454 is buying a Ford with a 7.3 but the Chevy guy in me says mod the 350 first :lol:
I'm hoping to save some mpg staying with what I have since it isn't that bad at all (14-15 hwy).

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to look up how to test the fuel pressure. I've done it on other cars, hopefully there is an easy method :)
Good to know about the nv4500, I was wondering about that after seeing all the nv4500 swaps done here lol

That ultimate tbi mod seems like something I would lose patience mid-modifying and break the TBI unit.
Exhaust is a good idea but somewhat pricey.
If I did though would a single 3" be a good size? Or would I lose too much back pressure? (time to search)
Yeah not a lot of options on the Cat in CA though :(

I'm running single 3" from the catalytic converter back and it's plenty of flow for a 383.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the TBI mod I just went to a junkyard, and got a thing there. Smoothed it all down and once I get the gasket kit I'm gonna swap mine out. Less down time and if you mess something up your trucks still on the road.

1994chevymanual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know some will disagree but ihave a buddy that did shorty headers, good exhaust, and tbi mods and gain reasonable towing and daily driver performance nothing huge but enough to notice a improvement.IF you want more towing power you could always do a 383 build:p

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can really wake up a TBI 350 with some minor mods. I wouldn't trade it in for a different truck until you try a few proven mods and see how it reacts first.

Ultimate TBI mod with adjustable fuel pressure regulator
radiator E-fans
fresh tune up with fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, air filter, fresh oil, etc
do whatever you can with the exhaust while still being California legal like long tubes into an H-pipe then into high flow cats and dumped before the rear axle, all mandrel bent 2.5" with mufflers of your choice.

Gearing would be my last resort since its the most expensive but it would be a very effective solution to your problem.

Carb legal shorty headers, fuel pressure set to 13psi with the aforementioned regulator, and bump timing to 4 degrees from factory 0 for 87 octane. The 454 TBI engine wasn't all that impressive stock and would need similar attention to get it breathing decently. How hard would it be to smog a 454?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of people getting away with 87 that way. I personally ran premium that way but I'm weird in that I'm willing to pay for it. I ran with long tubes, 4 degrees advanced timing, ultimate TBI mods, 15psi (couldn't get it any lower but it ran better than with 11.5psi), and an e fan and the truck was a lot stronger than stock from idle to top end.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The throttle body work is very simple. Me and my buddy did mine. I took it apart and he did the grinding while I worked on the truck. He has no mechanical experience really, was half drunk, and used a 4 1/2 inch grinder. I used a cartridge roll on a dremel to smooth it out. If you have the simple tools it takes it's nearly free and makes a difference. No reason not to do it.
I have mine set 4 degrees advanced but mine is a 6. Maybe that makes a difference with knock count but my truck runs better. Regardless pulling that kind of load you might as well leave it at 0 degrees.
It seems like you only want to do easy modifications so a pod spacer and throttle body spacer would be something for you to do. They don't do much but are easy upgrades. If you feel like cutting up your air cleaner you can use a hypertech power charger. It's just a better base for the air cleaner.
Make sure the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil are in good shape. Air filter and fuel filter too. When was the last time the transmission and axles had their fluids changed?
My dad has a '97 1500 with a 14 bolt, same as a 6 lug 2500, and we've pulled a dump trailer with it with 2 tons of shingles. The truck is a Vortec but it was a 305 and has an auto with 3.42s. Pulled it good. I'd say your truck needs some maintaince work. That with some basic modifications will help you out. Plus don't expect too much out of it. Just because another truck can pull a big grade without slowing down doesn't mean yours should. A lot of modified diesel guys will brag about how their truck can pull a load. In the end as long as you get where you are going don't worry about it.