OOOOPPS!! Need EGR help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I screwed up ordering my headers. They dont have an egr port. So i either need to fab one into my headers (no thanks) or have the egr removed in my upcoming tune and block off the intake mani. Here is where I need a little help please and thank you. How are you egr less guys blocking off the intake side?

just for reference, I have a 97 vortec 5.7 scpi or whatever the damn spider thing is called.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/EGR-Block-Off-Plates/Year/1997/Make/CHEVROLET/

Check your local state inspection laws first. Here in Texas, you're allowed two systems to not "be ready" when the inspection is done. So, I can technically have my EGR tuned out and still pass. Problem is they do a visual to ensure its there. Does every state inspector do it? No, but enough do. You could install the block off plate and fasten the EGR valve on top of the plate so it's still "visually" there. Then have your tune modified accordingly. You may have to run the line to your header but again, consult your state laws first.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the headers I got dont have them..... and I just have to beat the sniffer for e testing. I may register the truck as a farm vehicle and then I wont need to worry about e-testing at all.

dont those plates work on the exhaust side? I need to plug off the intake manifold's hole for it.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Those plates are for the intake. If you can get away with it, just install the plate, tune it out and call it good.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how do those work then? the hole in the intake looks like it needs a plug. Would I put one of those over and then drill tap and bolt into the intake mani?

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the EGR valve and install the block off plate; that's pretty straight forward. You will need a plug for the hose going into the manifold but you can get a brass plug from Home Depot for prob less than $1.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of guys fab them up too. Hell, you could use some tin snips, a small piece of sheet metal and a drill. You could prob get everything you need at HD for less than $10. As long as it seals you'll be ok. You can use some gasket material or maybe even RTV to seal where the valve is.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OOOORRRRRRRRRRR you can leave the EGR valve in place and just install a plug in the manifold. Really, you have a few options and they're all pretty straight forward.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, i was litterally just looking at the pipe fitting that goes into the manifold.... Im betting I can get a plug in the plumbing section of any decent hardware store. Im going to check