Oil change interval 3000 or 5000?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After buying my 97 c1500 from this guy on Craigslist I immediately did an oil change. I used Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 filter. Now I have always done it at 3000 miles but I read that you can go longer with the Mobil 1 oil. Is it recommended I go 5000 miles each oil change?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
These engines dont have as tight of machining tolerances as newer cars and truck do. I would judge on the condition of the oil after 3000 miles.

that said, you dont need expensive oil for long life out of these trucks. The best oil change is the one you can afford to do on a regular basis instead of an expensive one on a non-regular basis. el-cheapo oil and filter every 3000 miles is better than $$$$ oil every 10,000

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do synthetic every 5000. Oil stays pretty clean and doesn't use any. 145,00 miles on the truck. If I can see the dipstick through the oil I am good with it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could have a major fuel leak into the crankcase requiring you to change the engine oil after a few hundred miles. Changing the engine oil and then embarking on a coast to coast trip where the engine hardly shuts off, will allow you to run a bit longer on an oil change, or long distance commuting.

If in doubt, go by the 'severe service interval' listed, or a bit less.

The old wives tale about going longer on synthetic has only a slight basis in fact. Fact, all engines have blow-by and produce carbon and acids in the oil. There can be no error in stating this. Poor combustion efficiency will also have an effect on oil life.

RichLo has good advice. I would tend to change oil sooner if running dino ( conventional ) oils, more so if you have a lot of short trips, start up and drive to work or the stores and shut it off. During these short duration trips, more unburned fuel gets past the rings and winds up diluting the oil.

Also, some engine designs shear down engine oils quicker than others. In the BITOG forums ( google search ) some users report their oil analysis results with the make and model of vehicle.

mistaake

Reaction score
3k conventional/5k synthetic - That's what I do on everything and I change friends and family oil frequently as well as my own stuff including a gmt400. I have pretty much switched to full synthetics on everything with 5k intervals. I almost always use generic oil such as Walmart supertech and oreilly brand. Motorcraft filter on my Ford and wix on everything else.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
many decades ago, when oil tech was in it's infancy, big auto set these "3k mile" terms....and they followed through till today. ignorance is bliss.....and they count on it to make money.......oil technology is light years ahead of what it was just 25 years ago. if it's been "tested and pproved" you can't really buy a "bad" oil today.

lots of good advice on this thread......there's a wrench for every nut and everyone has a different nut.

i've written one or two posts on here regarding oil, as it was "hobby" of mine....a few years back, some friends and i did major studies on "oil" and oiling systems on Harleys.....we actually had some big companies change their products based on our findings and what we were talking about....this information was all put on Shovelhead.us, the premier Harley shovelhead forum. we did lots of experiments and made lots of changes to the engines, put together hybrid systems and improved many parameters......it's all out there, we did it over a couple years.......many brilliant minds involved.......and these forums are monitored by companies to learn their customer base and for marketing strategies.

there's a LOT of things that maintenance intervals depend on....off the top-o-my-head are type of engine(ie; air cooled v. water v. air/oil/water), operating environment, use or abuse(getting groceries v. drag racing), machining/fitment tolerances, ambient temperature, operating temperature, fuel contamination, "additives", type of lifters, capacity, short or long trips, start-ups, COLD start-ups, filtration(microns/media), synthetic/semi-syn/petroleum based, state of tune, wear parameters, does the engine sit? is condensation "burned off"?....you get the drift.

HEAT and viscosity are the biggest factors in my opinion......at least as far as how i perform MY schedules on the various engines i have to service.

there's lots of text book must do's, but in reality there's always an exception to the rule.

it seems i average around 4K on my daily rider......i've gone 7K miles too. oil is cheap so you really can't go wrong with recommended service intervals, but i'm just stubborn.

it's good you changed the engine oil Diego0123005, but i would also change the coolant, the transmission and both differentials.....that way i'd have a KNOWN starting point to base my thoughts on.

i now like semi-synthetic or full syn fluids....became "aware" of them about 10 years ago and was skeptical like everyone else in the beginning.....for various reasons.

there's nothing wrong with every 3K, but why change it that often if you can safely go 5K? when i was selling parts in NY Harley i know folks that will ONLY use Harley Screamin Eagle 20/50....a synthetic(very expensive packaging and it's not actually a full syn) every 2,500.....and i've asked WHY.......and the answer i've mostly got was "it's better for the motor and i want it to last a long time"....pure bullshit and misnomer.....i've tried educating folks, bu people will only believe what they WANT to believe.

personally i like Brad-Penn products....the semi syn variety lately....and Wix filters.
on my brand new HT383E engine i put in Mobil 1 (was on sale)after i broke it in......i changed all my fluids to synthetic when i got this truck, saw no reason NOT to......

the brad Penn is GREEN......and most importantly, it comes out of the ground in Pennsylvania from the oldest longest running plant in the USA......and it's cost effective, imo. i have nothing to with the company either. back in '95 or so it was the Kendall oil plant.

here's a link to start the search............ http://www.hdmworld.com/lube-brad_penn.htm ....fu@ck ceaser chavez!