odd front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got this rattling noise coming from my front end. I think it could be due to me over cranking my torsion bars...only thing i can think of. I dont recall it being there when i flat towed it home...any ideas?

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where is it coming from? does it happen when you turn or when you hit bumps? does it do it all the time?

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its mainly when i'm hitting bumps n crap. forgot to mention that. dumb me and i'm a mechanic lma0. i'm just not familiar with the sound is all.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
K. I'll check that first thing after work. Man the bugs are out in force here already. Gotta invest in something to kill em

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Jack the front up and check your ball joints also while you are at it.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).

Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

You can use a dial indicator to measure ball joint play. but It can be done with a tape measure also, but it won't be very accurate.

Jack the front tire off the ground.
Place a jack stand under the axle next to the jack.
Lower to put some weight on the jack stand.
Place a long pry bar under the tire, from the side.
Have someone pry the tire up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for up and down play.
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050"

Have someone grab the tire at top and bottom to wiggle the top in and out while you watch the upper joint for side play.
Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060"

Even if the upper joint checks good, change both if the lower checks bad.

Usually bad Ball joints make a klunk sound when braking.

But stabilizer links can make a faster klunk sound more often.

But yeah man, I hear you on the bugs, I was outside all day yesterday chopping wood up in to smaller sections for a bon fire at like 4, and the bugs kept going in my ears, pissed me off.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. I bet tge ball joints are shot lol 220k miles. No clunking at breaking that I recall. Just when I hit bumps. Even going slow in the yard

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Yeah. I bet tge ball joints are shot lol 220k miles. No clunking at breaking that I recall. Just when I hit bumps. Even going slow in the yard

Do your ball joints have rivets on them? If they do, then they are original.

Mine do :p At 218,000 miles, and only the upper driver side one is bad.