Occasional stalling when i put it in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike2000t

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Silverado with a 5.7 engine. I am in the process of fixing her up for a daily drive for times when i can not ride my motorcycle. In addition to replacing all the fluids, I just had the transmission replaced and the engine tuned up (new wires, plugs, and distributor with cap and rotor). The truck starts up fine and drives very well, but I am experiencing a slight occasional stumble at idle while in gear (R or D). This slight stumble was present with my worn out transmission and prior to the tune up. I now have noticed after the new transmission, that the truck will suddenly stall out as I put the truck into reverse in addition to the slight stumble at idle. She starts right back up and drives fine after that. Has happened twice this week and I have been driving it to work and back all week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Silverado with a 5.7 engine. I am in the process of fixing her up for a daily drive for times when i can not ride my motorcycle. In addition to replacing all the fluids, I just had the transmission replaced and the engine tuned up (new wires, plugs, and distributor with cap and rotor). The truck starts up fine and drives very well, but I am experiencing a slight occasional stumble at idle while in gear (R or D). This slight stumble was present with my worn out transmission and prior to the tune up. I now have noticed after the new transmission, that the truck will suddenly stall out as I put the truck into reverse in addition to the slight stumble at idle. She starts right back up and drives fine after that. Has happened twice this week and I have been driving it to work and back all week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Same thing is happening with my 92, did you figured out the problem?

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Things I would check first - vacuum leaks, EGR valve, IACV, TPS sensor, oxygen sensor, probably in about that order

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
First thing i would check is the IAC. Either clean or replace. Be sure to clean the port too.

sketchy90z71

Reaction score
My first guess from experience would be a vacuum leak or o2 sensor. I've had the same problem in an f body with tbi and even when the egr was gone and the IAC already replaced and tps tested, the issue was still there. Hope that helps narrow it down

94OldRed

Reaction score
Maybe a fuel issue? Worn out fuel pump or clogged fuel filter?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my 94 did the same I checked IAC/TPS like others have said but in my case I changed my fuel filter and all was good. So start with fuel pressure.