NV3500 behind cammed 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm torn between keeping it a stick shift and going for more of a street/strip setup with a ratchet shift.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I'm torn between keeping it a stick shift and going for more of a street/strip setup with a ratchet shift.

Eh, either way you go, it's only money. For mostly strip use, I like automatic. For cruising street, gotta be manual.
I look at it from an R&I aspect; if I plan to be working on it all the time, automatic has less external time consumers and is easier to source parts.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Well, here's a success story. I've been abusing my NV3500 in a lifted truck behind my 383 for a few years now. Especially when I was tuning for WOT, I was dumping the clutch and ripping gears as fast as the synchros would allow (heavy flywheel and revving higher than stock RPM) frequently. I'm aware it's not good for things...I probably should've bought a stick sports car instead.

Now I only rip on it hard like that part-time.

Ditto with what was said. For me? Street fun with a stick, autos are a bit faster in the quarter (unless you're getting into real **** stuff). I drove several states away because I wanted a stick truck again.

I've heard stories of people turning the innards of NV3500's to crumbs behind V6's, but I haven't witnessed it with my junk yet!

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, technically this isn't a question about a GMT 400, but I like you guys more than the guys on s10forums. I'm looking into swapping a mildly modded (cammed and tuned) 5.3l into my 2000 s10. It currently has a 2.2 with an nv1500, so I need a new trans when i do it. Do you guys think an NV3500 would hold up to approximately 400hp?
I really hope you do this! A build thread would be awesome to watch too, knowing what a dog that truck is originally!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really hope you do this! A build thread would be awesome to watch too, knowing what a dog that truck is originally!
It is definitely going to happen, just not quite yet. My wife and I are looking for a house with a garage, I can't really start until then.