NV3500 behind cammed 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, technically this isn't a question about a GMT 400, but I like you guys more than the guys on s10forums. I'm looking into swapping a mildly modded (cammed and tuned) 5.3l into my 2000 s10. It currently has a 2.2 with an nv1500, so I need a new trans when i do it. Do you guys think an NV3500 would hold up to approximately 400hp?

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
The most I've been told to put in front of the NV3500 is either 300 or 350 lbs feet of torque, can't remember which one. Haven't tested that yet.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The most I've been told to put in front of the NV3500 is either 300 or 350 lbs feet of torque, can't remember which one. Haven't tested that yet.
Thanks for the input. Maybe I should be looking at a T56 instead. I just read that the NV1500 and NV3500 put the shifter at the same place, so I figured it would simplify things.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
350 lbs of torque is what it was.
Before I tore my truck down it had a cammed, seemingly stock otherwise, tbi motor and the poor nv3500 was really struggling to keep it together.

That's what I would do if I was going to build a hot rod. There's a real good thread in here about the T56 where he moved the shift rails in the transmission to where it would be close enough to the hole in the floorboard.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
350 lbs of torque is what it was.
Before I tore my truck down it had a cammed, seemingly stock otherwise, tbi motor and the poor nv3500 was really struggling to keep it together.

That's what I would do if I was going to build a hot rod. There's a real good thread in here about the T56 where he moved the shift rails in the transmission to where it would be close enough to the hole in the floorboard.
Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks man!

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 3500 is just fine behind my cammed 5.3.

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you romp on it regularly? I can assure you I will not be kind to this truck. Lol
Frick ya I do!!! I drop that ***** hard often! Holding just fine for me. Even using the stock type clutch that came with the 4.3L

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Frick ya I do!!! I drop that ***** hard often! Holding just fine for me. Even using the stock type clutch that came with the 4.3L

Sweet. How long have you been running it?
Mine was abused before I got to it; reverse was almost gone, first was tricky, the stick flopped around, but I could still chirp the tires in every gear but fifth.
When it was being rebuilt they gave me some stern words of caution and have heard the same warning from two other sources.
I've been doing a very mild build just to keep things dependable, but a V8 without lopping idle makes my heart sad.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet. How long have you been running it?
Mine was abused before I got to it; reverse was almost gone, first was tricky, the stick flopped around, but I could still chirp the tires in every gear but fifth.
When it was being rebuilt they gave me some stern words of caution and have heard the same warning from two other sources.
I've been doing a very mild build just to keep things dependable, but a V8 without lopping idle makes my heart sad.
Running it for the 3rd year now. I wouldn't recommend throwing any super sticky tires on and hitting the drag strip with it, but it seems just fine around town and on the highway! Buddy of mine is also running one behind his cammed 6L, no issues.