NP241C Grinding into 4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 1995 Chevy Z71 1500, it has the 4L60e with the manual shift NP241c transfer case. It goes in and out of 4H just fine, but when you start to move the lever out of N into 4L, it grinds loudly and resists. It does go into 4L if you push it and once its in there it works perfectly, but when you try to take it out, it does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Dsmithjr

Reaction score
Are you pausing in Neutral before you try to get 4L? If so, that's probably your issue. You can't pause in Neutral you just go into 4L in one swift motion, and it's the same for going back to 2. Here's a video explanation:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you pausing in Neutral before you try to get 4L? If so, that's probably your issue. You can't pause in Neutral you just go into 4L in one swift motion, and it's the same for going back to 2. Here's a video explanation:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I haven't tried doing it while moving. I actually have the manual too. When I go for 4L, I do it in one fluid motion but it grinds as soon as it starts coming out of 2H into N. Even so, if I keep going the way the manual says, it will go into 4L and work fine, it just grinds a lot going there. Now like I said this has been with the truck stopped but I don't imagine that is the problem but I will try it anyways.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I turn the engine off(in neutral with my foot on the brake pedal)),go to the desired gear then restart.I don't like hearing any grinding.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for no reason I just went out and tried it again, didn't do anything differently, and whatdya know, IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Out of nowhere its working fine like it never had a problem. Damn truck lol

Rollin400s

Reaction score
Going from a push button shift in my 98 to a manual shift in my 2000 OBS made me think something in my transfer case was very wrong. Now I'm going to go try this and I bet it shifts with no problems. Didn't help things that when I changed the transfer case fluid only about 1/2 qt of dark fluid came out which really made me think that it was messed up somehow.