np241 transfer case question 96 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Little background, i have a 96 silverado new to me, np241 transfer case, floor shift 4wd... when i shifted into 4hi the light goes on but randomly it will start flickering sometimes, not all the time but a little bit.. is that the actuator going out or something different?

Also, can anyone tell me what is wrong with my transfer case or trans, when i go from Neutral in the TC to 2wd it grinds real bad and I can feel the gear turning in the TC.... I had another 96 gmc with floor shift 4wd and it didn't do that.... what would you guys suggest? thought about taking it to an off road shop and seeing what they say

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so you are saying the 4hi starts flickering? Are you losing 4wd intermittently? Flickering once a minute or once a second? What is flickering? The 4wd light engagement on the floor? Two things I can think of

1) bad light bulb, switch it with the other one and see what happens

2) bad front actuator, this engages your front differential and is thermally actuated. I guess if it is 'weak' it may be slipping in and out of 4wd but I suspect it's just a bad bulb lol. It really depends if you are losing 4wd or not. I believe there is a second sensor on the front dif that detects 'ok 4wd engaged let's send a signal to the cab and let him know by turning the light on', the wiring or sensor may be bad.

Your next question about the grinding from neutral, explain more details. Are you fully stopped? Is the engine in neutral? What is the fluid level in the transfer case? Some people recommend travelling slowly at 1-3 MPH in neutral down a small grade while shifting in and out of 4LO, not sure if this applies to neutral?

Video of the flickering, or a better explanation would help

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
The light is flickering and it is also disengaging 4wd the same time, thinking it could be the actuator, I know before 98 they had problem with the 4wd actuators.

On the second issues, trans was in neutral, engine running of course, and TC is in neutral... foot was off the brake and tried going into 2hi and that's when the gear was grinding.... it doesn't grind going out of 2wd into 4hi or into neutral, but going from N to 2wd

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Most of the time the 4wd stays engaged, it was only a couple times it flickered and it would flicker fast like something was going out randomly, not really a set flicker time