Np241 c jumps to neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucky67bsa

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have a 94 k250 that has the nv45 00 with a Np241c transfer case. The other day I pulled out into traffic and got on it. The transfer case popped from 2wd to neutral. I have had it popped to neutral 2 other time also. I can't figure out why it's doing it. Anyone had this happen to them before?

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull your tcase, split the cases on it and replace the plastic pads that slide onto the shift forks.... and or replace the shift forks if there worn that is the main cause of np241cs popping into neutral. It can happen to ones that were driven on the road only with lots of highway miles.

OverDrive

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a thing that just goes out on the NP241's, but just in case, you can always check to see if your detent spring is screwed up. Heres a pic of the spring, cap, and plug thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Its pretty obvious where it is on the bottom of the T-case. Almost looks like a drain plug. Also be ready to catch some fluid if you do check it. PS. make sure you put it back in the same way you pulled it all out. I learned that the hard way.

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Hey lucky67bsa,

I know that this thread is getting kind of old, but was wondering if you got an answer as to what was causing your issue. I have a 1996 2500 with the nv4500 and the transfer case started jumping to neutral out of the blue yesterday. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
That aluminum shift fork is a problem. Mine had worn down which I caught when I refreshed the case. Cobra Transmission has a really good price on replacements.

lucky67bsa

Reaction score
Update. I scrapped this transfer case and now have one out of a 95 in it. Only problem I have now is the sensor that indicates 4x4 to send signal to front is not the correct plug? Any ideas on what to do? I was thinking about cutting a plug off a 95 and splicing my wiring to it... idk if this will work or not. Any info would be great

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The entire mode cam has to be changed. This means splitting the case. There is a 3 pin and a two pin version and the height is different.