NP205 vs NP261

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Br1an

Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm currently planning how I'm going to build my truck and I've decided so far I'm going to drop in an LS3 from Lingenfelter, rated at 550 horsepower and a 4l80e behind it but now it comes to the transfer case. I have my eye on a rebuilt NP261 from Monster Transmission but how does the 261 compare to the 205? I know the 205 is one bad *****, probably the strongest transfer case, but is it worth the extra weight over the 261? The 261 is chain driven and already a driver side drop, if I do use a 205 I'm going to use a Ford Married version because I don't plan on putting a solid axle in front so I'd have to put in a GM 32 spline input shaft. But I would also twin stick it so I have high and low in four wheel drive and two wheel and I don't know that you can twin stick the 261. Thanks in advance for any information.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an FYI, but it has come to my attention recently that Monster Transmission has been having quality and build issues. I used to recommend them. May want to consider that. Also, Id probably pick a 205 over almost all cases. Hence why I have one in mine now. You could always divorce mount as well, which is what I have done

Br1an

Reaction score
K, I'll take that into consideration. I don't know if I would have a long enough wheel base to run a divorced transfer case though, my trucks an extended cab short bed, that I plan on lifting and possibly swapping a solid axle under the front. Course if I do that, I may expirament with rear steer on it...

Br1an

Reaction score
If you mean the actuator on the differential I plan on swapping to an AAM 9.25" differential along with an air locker, Fleece Performance's upgraded axle shafts, and RCV CV shafts

Br1an

Reaction score
I also don't plan on the LS3 anymore either. I'm either going to use an LSA crate engine or build either a 454 or a 496 with coil near plug ignition, a Whipple port injected manifold, and either an 8-71 blower or a 10-71 blower.Don't really understand what the difference is between the two but I'll have to look it up

Br1an

Reaction score
I may be wrong on this but I thought I read somewhere before where people had wired in a toggle switch to the front actuator essentially giving you the same results of a twin stick for a lot less.

Edit: for my own sanity I had to look. Here you go.

http://www.chevytruckworld.com/ew/forums/Topic.asp?id=85256
So i just read the write up you linked and it sounds basically the same as what I was thinking about, just done differently