Non Responsive ABS module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SinnSix

Reaction score
Hello!
1996 2 Door 4x4 Tahoe 5.7 300k Miles
Dash ABS light illuminated upon Key on and never cycles off.

I am unable to retrieve codes because my Scan tool is not seeing my ABS Module. I have used 2 different tools so far. Innova 3100 ABS and yesterday the Autel MX808. Neither can see the ABS module. I recently replaced the EBCM (brain only) with another unit that was "Known" good and have the same issue. (not 100% sure its a good unit any more).

Google search shows the same issue across many forums. I cannot find a solution as each post seems to die after the scan tool is blamed. I tested 2 other vehicles of the same vintage and both tools work appropriately.

I have checked grounds, continuity and power through all of the harnesses, and fuses under hood. I am stumped.

I watched the video below and it is INCREDIBLY informative, I am running one more continuity test this weekend if I have time. Does anyone else have this issue with their ABS being non responsive?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no help but download the Manuel's on this forum and follow the wiring. Imo the light is on due to loss communication which explains why the scanners won't connect. I could be wrong but I would start there

SinnSix

Reaction score
I'm no help but download the Manuel's on this forum and follow the wiring. Imo the light is on due to loss communication which explains why the scanners won't connect. I could be wrong but I would start there
That's what I am feeling as well. I need to test the Serial data wires to see if they have continuity. Thanks!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the manual ABS section it goes into detail. As for the diagnostic tools, you either have a GM tech 2 that communicates with all modules or a higher end scanner that has the ability to access ABS controls. Not all low level scanners or even mid range scanners have ABS or TPMS ability.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the manual ABS section it goes into detail. As for the diagnostic tools, you either have a GM tech 2 that communicates with all modules or a higher end scanner that has the ability to access ABS controls. Not all low level scanners or even mid range scanners have ABS or TPMS ability.
I have the mx 808 and can confirm it communicates with the kelsey hayes abs module. At least on my 98

SinnSix

Reaction score
I bought an Autel Mx808. So far it is the best OBD tool I have used for the price. Bi directional controls all the way up to current. I'm not sponsored nor supported by them, but AESwave in Fresno, CA gave me a good deal and they have great support for their tools. I will link the tool website for details on the tool, I don't know if the rules allow for posting links but if you want to use AESwave, just google them. :)

I also printed the section for diagnosing the wiring and will be doing that this weekend.