No brake lights but switch works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockusaf

Reaction score
Your on the right path with the shim try sticking a dime in their you don't have to go around the rod just something in between the rod and switch.
OK, figured out what you were talking about beardeddummy so I cut a piece of exhaust pipe to fit, bent it a bit and installed it. Unfortunately it didn't help but figured I'd post this up here in case it helps someone else. Really not sure what I'm going to do here, running out of ideas.

You must be registered for see images attach

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, if I am reading this correctly? your truck is a 1991, the dash assembly is from a 1998 correct? the original post sounded as if the brake pedal assembly & switch are also from a 1998 model? just spit balling but, if that is the case, could the mounts of the 2 pedals be different? as in changing the distance from the firewall? you already stated that if you press @ the switch that it works, but not @ the pedal.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doing a quick search on www.gmpartsgiant.com & using a 1998 k1500 model in the search box, netted 4 results. 2 of which were RHD. of the 2 LHD units (they had diff part #'s, maybe auto vs stick?), gave an interchange as being for a 1995+ gmt400.

so as I said before, if I was reading that correctly & you changed to newer year unit, that may be where your problem lies in the mounting areas.

hope this helps

rockusaf

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a frankentruck, truck is a 1991, pulled the dash and underhood and dash harness from a 1997 or 98, and the new engine and tranny is out of a 2012 Camaro SS. I pulled the bracket off the firewall along with the dash since I needed it to mount the new steering column, and replaced that whole thing so the geometry should be good on that. The pedals are a completely different shape between the years, I know the pedal pad are different between auto and manual so that would explain all the part numbers.

I was doing some more tinkering this weekend and I do have a question for you all, and another possible hiccup with this swap. Can anyone confirm that the rod is correct as it shows in this pic , it's not supposed to go over that last step (where the arrow is pointing) on the stud is it? Looking at the stock 1991 pedal the stud is all one diameter but this one from the 1998 gets bigger just before the end and curious if the later model rod has a larger hole that is supposed to slide further on that stud and maybe that's adding to my problem.

I appreciate all the help from you all, not giving up.

Rock

rockusaf

Reaction score
Bump to the top to see if anyone can answer about the rod sliding over that stud (I know that sounds dirty). I've got time to work on the truck this weekend, gonna try to find an unmolested truck I can take a look at to see if I'm missing something. It just seems like this shouldn't be that difficult.

Rock

rockusaf

Reaction score
OK so now I've got these really bright red lights coming out the back of my truck when I push the brake pedal, anyone know what that might be? :peace:
So it turns out that the 1991 power brake booster rod and the 1998 power brake booster rod are quite different.

Swapped out a new brake booster, added a new switch as well since I had "customized" the old one and now the brake lights come on as they should. As you can see from the picture above I tried to hog out the hole a bit but I took some measurements of everything and took it to the auto parts store and they pulled the new booster for me to compare. I think the biggest thing is the rod diameter is bitter and that holds the switch in place as designed versus the smaller diameter rod allowing it to move a bit.

Just wanted to post an update in case this can help someone else in the future.

Oh, and the rod is shorter too so now I have to shorten my clutch pedal to match the new location of the brake pedal. :banghead:

Rock