NightRunner's 1991 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Wow. Long Tube headers were a PITA to install. First off, the stockers didn't want to come off for anything. It took a lot of coercion and some impact tools to get the job done. Then the PS/Alternator bracket became a factor. After some creative cut off wheel work (and knicking my PS Reservoir) we got it cut but still functioning. Then came the LT install. Driver's side was easy, drop it in, throw in gasket, bolt it up, good to go. The passenger side however, was the biggest PITA I think I've had to work with in a long time. First off, props to Chevy for making some terribly designed heat shields for the spark plug wires. They do their job but uninstall is a pain. The next challenge was fitment, even after uninstalling everything the instructions called for, the header was still hitting frame and cab. So after a little bit of handy mallet work on the end of the header and the front of the cab's heat shield underneath, it finally slid in. Bolting it in was another challenge, glad I had access to a lift or else this would not have happened.

Summit's system was down yesterday due to a cut fiber optic cable down the road taking out all their network and communications so I wasn't able to get my H-Pipe just yet, so we temporarily fabbed up the mufflers behind the headers after about a foot of exhaust piping. Eventually, we're gonna take that off, install the H-pipe at the flanges and dump the exhausts with a turndown pipe. Still thinking about throwing a resonator on each side too. No pictures today since we were playing beat the clock last night. Working until 3am and coming into work at 7am since my shop guy's weekend was full and we wouldn't be able to get it on the lift for another week if we didn't do it last night. I need coffee. :Pshyco:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So, today was tiring and a bit of a let down. Bad news, frame damage. Looks like the collision knocked one of the body mounts out of spec, which means this truck will never be 100 percent again. Good news, this isn’t the end. My old 454 square had a cracked/broken frame and I still daily’d it. So, I went ahead and put the replacement parts in and got the front end as straight as possible. The front bumper brackets will not work since the frame damage is in the way, so it looks like a full custom weld in bumper is happening sometime in 2019 for the front. Move bumpers make a pretty sweet setup that I’m highly interested in. But anyways, here’s a pic of the disassembly.

You must be registered for see images attach

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So the past few days have been crazy. Today went over better but still difficult. Got the bulky rear bumper off, put the new OEM rear bumper on with the trailer hitch, ran the new trailer wiring, and removed the side steps. Starting to look better. Here's some pics:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Well, emergency maintenance time. As I was meeting with another forum user today to sell my old rear bumper we noticed that my wheel cylinder on the driver's side of my truck had pretty much blown out. I had long suspected that I had a leaking wheel cylinder after another user commented that it could be the source of my white smoke on start up issue. But now the wheel cylinder is pretty much shot and needs to be replaced ASAP so the truck is sidelined until tomorrow. But I'll be able to get to replacing the brake pads/shoes while I change out that bad wheel cylinder. Then it should stop like new again. Wish me luck on that!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
The wheel cylinder has been replaced and now my brake system is a lot better than it was. I think the ABS system isn't allowing me to properly bleed the brakes but we have a workaround for that involving purging the ABS by use of basically engaging it on road. It's gonna be a lengthy process but we should be able to get it knocked out in a couple of hours.

Also had a very frustrating weekend. Trying to install the lift proved to be slightly difficult due to a lack of tools. We were working on another truck first and by the time we got mine rolled into the shop and realized we needed something to separate the spindle from ball joint all automotive shops in our area were closed. The cotter pins were also completely screwed up from the previous owner, so the driver's side spindle has only castle nuts without cotter pins holding it in for now. We directed our attention to the H-Pipe install which was a universal fit one from Summit. Using the Hedman 69440 headers, the passenger side header allows for exhaust to be run above the transmission crossmember but the driver's side exits right at the middle of the crossmember, so we're having to bend the pipe to fit around that. We tried using an over/under setup where the passenger side exhaust was routed above the crossmember and the driver side was below, and then leveling the exhaust back out at the H-Pipe. During our test fitting/tack welding procedure however, the machine ran out of wire and our welder bit the dust. So I had a half thrown together exhaust setup to limp the truck home. On the way home, however, the cap holding the wheel bearing in on the driver side popped up, slinging automotive grease everywhere and causing the wheel bearing to burn up. I've never seen a bearing burn up so quickly like this one did. So the truck was effectively parked and it had to be towed home at 3am the morning after Cinco De Mayo, when tow trucks were out in full force.

It was not a fun weekend and it was extremely testing patience wise. I took a step away from the truck for a day to cool off. It happens sometimes with projects. However, new wheel bearings, cotter pins and the hub cover will be installed this weekend most likely. After the spindle is secured and greased properly, we'll get it back out to the shop and continue on with the lift install and the exhaust install. Should have some new wire for the machine by the time we get back in the shop. Just ready to have the lift on and the exhaust finished up.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So after taking a bit to cool off from the truck, I hit it again with the appropriate tools and the spindle came out with ease. The next problem I ran into was my rotors which were ground down extremely. No big deal, $100 on RockAuto for a replacement set and we're on the road again. So now, I'm waiting on my rotors to come in so I can finish the front end install and focus on the rear. Here's a picture of the truck before it broke down to tide you over.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Progress!

The 4/2 RC lift is in! New spindles up front and blocks in the rear. The spindles pushed the front wheels out about 1.5" so I'm getting a spacer from EZ Accessories to match in the rear. 32s will be put on and alignment will be done in the same day. Also got a chance to fix my radio issue, so now my single DIN sits flush with the dash kit (shoutout to BOSS for sending me a replacement cage for my radio to make this work, definitely earned a lifelong customer), and got around to replacing the rear speakers but not before breaking a few fragile plastic clip holders:(:(

So looks like a piece of trim is going to have to be held on with adhesive from now on, but that's okay. Definitely not going to be a show truck when it's finished. With that in mind, my buddy recently purchased a 1992 C1500 (350 and all, he's in love), and he's going for a completely black look. Since I like the look of white and chrome together, we reached a deal. I sold him my drop kit from CMS (review incoming) and black front and rear bumpers and he's going to give me his front and rear chrome bumpers to install in place. His bumpers need a good polishing but they're smooth front and rears, which means this Silverado trim will probably come off sometime in the summer when the truck is nice and baked. Next steps (aside from the ones listed) include fixing the front bumper brackets to fit the bumper correctly, installing the 4 High Beam headlight mod, replacing my driver's side mirror and getting the A/C working correctly again. After investigating the A/C issue, I found that the previous owner drove a self tapping screw into the side of the condenser to hold the transmission cooler in place. Why he did that is beyond me. The A/C compressor could be out, or maybe he just didn't care about the A/C. The vents blow air out strong, so I'll just start with replacing the condenser and see where it goes. Worst case scenario, I'll just replace the entire A/C system and call it done. Lol

Anyways, here's some pictures:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Oh man what a weekend it has been, and not for the best until tonight. If you haven't seen it already, go watch my meltdown of a discountined part HERE.

The proportioning valve was such a PITA to try and solve but thankfully GM was lazy and just flipped the prop valve for the S10 trucks. Now my truck no longer has the troublesome ABS system and brakes properly.

Not much other stuff got done this weekend. Rear seats were uninstalled in lieu of using the back area for a place for my dog to sit/lay in when she goes with me places since I don't like leaving dogs in truck beds driving. New speakers all around were installed and the radio situation was fixed (shout out to BOSS for sending me a replacement cage), so now the interior is mint. New dash cover is in (red velour carpet looks so sexy IMO) as well. Plan to tackle the gauges and side view mirror tomorrow as well. Here's the interior after a nice cleaning took place today in between breaks on the prop valve situation.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Replacement side view mirror is installed and A-Pillar gauges are in! I'm currently looking into the possibilities of sensor wiring for my oil pressure, water temperature and trans temp. Transmission temperature will have a dedicated wire to the transmission but I may be able to use the stock wires for my oil and water. If not, I can run dedicated wires for the sensor themselves as well. I still need to attach the transmission temperature gauge to the delete pocket since it's just kinda pressed in place. All of which will be done next weekend along with securing the dash cover so it doesn't look as loose as it does now.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So we're on the final stretch of the 2nd stage (1st stage was repairing front clip) which means we're finishing exterior and interior along with a few minor mechanical fixes. Here's the plan for the rest of the weekend:

- Mount/balance 32x11.50R15 tires, alignment
- Have shop finish up H-Pipe setup
- Install 1.5" wheel spacers in the rear
- Wire in oil pressure, water temp and trans temp sensors
- Secure dash cover
- Install chrome front/rear bumpers

Hoping to have it all done on Saturday but it might bleed into Sunday as well, not sure yet. After that, there may be a small break in major progress as I prep for the winter performance upgrades. We'll get into that at a later date as I'm still debating between building the engine as is and having a custom chip burned or converting to a carburetor/HEI distributor setup instead. Only time will tell. Definitely need to re-gear the rear end for the bigger tires however.
:flamingdevil: