Newbie here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
codes in the glove box starting with g are the gears, gu6 i know is 3.42 and if it has g80 that is factory locker,
if it is anything else, i'll look it up for ya

and they do put 14bolt 6 lug axles in half tons, but they are far and few between

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight-forward gear/axle RPO codes:
GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

here ya go.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The previous owner was saying he replaced the rear axle with the one that is in the truck now and that the gearing was different from the front. I am going to guess that the front is 3.73 and the rear 4.10s. I cant find 4.10 gears for the front I found 4.11s would that hurt anything?

From what I have been told the trucks seems to be lifted already I have not seen it in person and wont for another 5-6 months. I am guess it has cranked front end and 3/4 ton springs. The truck has 265/75/16 front and 285/75/16 rear so that's something else that needs to be fixed soon. Thinking a nice set of 35s and new wheels will fix that problem.

Last edited:

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you can change the rear if you know the front haven't been changed to match the front, or have a shop check your gear ration in the rear and have them match it,
and with the dfference in gear ratios, i hope they at least pulled the front driveshaft

and thanks for the codes Greg

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if it is disengaged it shouldn't, but i have heard stories of people driving them and the actuator was stuck engaged, but it should be fine, just wondering

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm just realized it has newer style mirrors on it + 1 for me. Also found out the tires that are in decent shape suck two flats -2 for me. Also that one front tire is 285/65/16 and the opposite side rear is the same size and flat. the other two tires are 265/75/16 so -2 all together thats only -3 for me.