New wheel question 18x9s or 18x10s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I haven't been on here much but, its nice to see a site dedicated to OBS trucks. I have a 98 K3500 SRW regular cab with a 4" tuff country lift. My question is this when I had 17x9s and 285s it drove great, I put a set of 16x10 welds and 295s on it and it drives terrible! I like the look of the 10s but I think because they stick out it seems you have to "drive" the truck more than with the 17s.

Now I am switching to 18s and can't decide whether to go 18x9s or 10s. I hate to spend the money and then have it drive bad. Anyone else run into this? Any pictures of an OBS with a 18 and 33?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
an inch of rim width won't produce any noticeable change in driving style, did you change tire brands when you swapped sizes? that certainly will change a vehicles driving habits

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well you have to remember a few things that can change the ride, the sidewall height plays big into that. with an 18 its going to be a stiffer ride when you hit bumps and such. also the load range of the tire. with an 18 and a 33 inch tire your rim is going to be an inch and a half bigger than half the size of your tire. so what i have been told is for a good ride you dont want to have a rim bigger than half your overall tire height. the inch width will make it a litte harder to drive in deep snow but i think it will be a little more stable in corners. i always went for a little wider rim than most people. those are my thoughts maybe someone else can suggest different.

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know....I didn't think about the fact that the 295s on the 16s have more side wall then the 17s and 285s. That would lead to the difference in the drive.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes it would. its just all about what you do with the truck and how you drive. if you drive like a maniac through corners on pavement you prob want shorter stiffer sidewalls. if you baja down dirt roads then obviously you want the opposit.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually try to use a narrow rim, within reason. For about a normal width tire, I'd try to keep the rims about 4 inchs narrower than the tire. An example would be using an 8 inch rim on a 12.50 tire.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i like the wides too. but cajun4x4 said they werent as good for offroading. i think i spelled his user name right...

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
i like the wides too. but cajun4x4 said they werent as good for offroading. i think i spelled his user name right...

it depends on your setup and what your trying to do (terrain). cajun knows his ****. and he just hates wide wheels lol

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i mean i asked why the narrow rims and he gave me good reason. i just perfer the wides because of the look. not like 15x15s but a 15x10 looks sick to me.