New ultralite travel trailer with our old trucks"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasup guys, whats your thoughts on the newer ultralite travel trailers. I'm thinking of using my 88 k2500 with the 60 and 3.73’s to pull a 29 footer that weighs 4500 dry. Going to Parker, AZ from Phoenix area for the Parker 425 off road race. Think she’ll handle it? It hasn't towed anything in the 2 years I've owned it.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
As long as your 60 is in good working order, you should be fine. The 60 doesn’t like much towing. But you’re not going far. I used my gmt800 1500 3.73 sub to tow from Florida to New Mexico about a 3500 lbs trailer. It didn’t like it much. But did it without issue. Just keep it in third.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Like said above keep it out of OD and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's only 4500#, my biggest concern would be hill climbing speed as I imagine there is elevation involved. I'd do it.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I forgot I have the 700 not 60. I don't think there's much difference.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your truck didn't originally have an HD Tow package, add a transmission cooler yourself. A few bucks at the local parts store and a quart of tranny fluid is all it takes.
Might want to inspect the diff too, or at least check the fluid level. If you have a G80, remember, NO friction modifier.
Add a little Red Line Water Wetter to your radiator (drain out a litre first if you need too and throw it in the overflow tank, then add the Water Wetter to the rad, not the overflow.
And like the guys said, don't tow in OD.

I've towed some pretty big loads, pretty far. I towed around 10,000 lbs over 6,000km with our old '88 K1500 Suburban just by adding helper springs, synthetic fluids, and Water Wetter.
Towed around that much for 1,200km with our '99 K2500, no problems as well. Though that truck isn't stock. Still, it was no sweat.
Big thing is cooling and fluids.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 2500 I have is the light duty version. It does have a tranny fluid cooler in front of radiator. Also has one for power steering, is that normal? It looks factory. Oil lines in the radiator too. 14 bolt rear end

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 2500 I have is the light duty version. It does have a tranny fluid cooler in front of radiator. Also has one for power steering, is that normal? It looks factory. Oil lines in the radiator too. 14 bolt rear end

Sounds like you're good other than checking the diff.