New Twist on the 0411 Vortec 454 swap!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Either I have a unique request or I cant search well. Forgive me if its the later of the two.

This is my application... I am building a prerunner (I race Baja 3-4 times a year) and I have a 1997 Vortec 454 id like to install in this prerunner. From what I understand the 0411 computer is the PCM of choice but Im not installing this into the factory truck nor do I have the factory wiring!

1) Is there someone you can point me towards that makes a drop in, plug and play style harness using the 0411 computer with my engine and transmission? I have all the sensors still in place on the engine so this would be the best option... THIS IS MY FIRST CHOICE OF ACTION! PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!;)

2) Because I want to use this engine and keep it fuel injection I also considered using the Holley Sniper EFI kit but it is a throttle body and requires a carburetor style intake manifold. From my understanding the heads on my engine are called the (peanut head) and nobody makes an intake manifold for it???
a) if there isn't an intake for these cylinder heads can I install an oval port intake in its place?
b) if the oval port intake cant be used with my cylinder heads can the conventional BBC oval port cylinder heads bolt onto my short block so I can run a typical oval port intake so I can use the Holley Sniper throttle body?

3) Am I over thinking this? Should I just purchase the 0411 connector and pin out to create my own harness? Being that I don't do this on a regular basis it would think its money well spent to leave to someone that better fits my 1st question...

***Keep in mind, that if at all possible I would like to have the 0411 also control my 4L80E transmission***

Thank you in advance for your help!, JOSH

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not use the factory harness? If you're using all the factory sensors, the factory harness would be really easy, all the connectors will be correct aside from the one to the ecm. If the dimensions of the harness are an issue somehow (not long enough) just add to it. I really doubt there is anyone out there sell a harness for this engine meant for the 0411. You might find a universal harness meant for ls swaps, but it would likely require swapping in your connectors.

These arent really peanut ports.
There should be square bore intakes available for these, search gen 6 454 on summit. That said, unless you want to make a bunch more power and think you'll hit the limit or the factory intake, why change it? Switching to the Holley setup would keep you from running your transmission, as far as I know.( it could be there is a way but that may be completely uncharted territory)

Did I miss anything? What are your power goals?

Post pics of this pre-runner. Sounds like fun

Reaction score
So I did find this harness from Howell. I'll check tomorrow to see if they are still making them. Painless told me their harness is discontinued and for no money would they consider making one for me. Understandable

I assume if I can get this harness after it's running I should then consider updating to the 0411 computer still!?

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're made of money and can drop that much for a factory harness more power to ya. IF it were me I would go pull a harness myself from a yard or from someone on craigslist. That way you learn where things connect to and how they're routed and you save literally hundreds of dollars on a harness you still are going to have to have pinned.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a stand alone harness because I don't have a harness. I didn't think 500 was too bad for a new and simple install harness. I'd likely make sure it ran well first before doing the 0411 mod. I'm looking for about 500 ft lbs of torque and what ever hp came with it.
Fingers crossed Howell still makes the harness. I think it would be money well spent vs time spent searching salvage or weeding through myself

Thanks for the intake tip!
Why not use the factory harness? If you're using all the factory sensors, the factory harness would be really easy, all the connectors will be correct aside from the one to the ecm. If the dimensions of the harness are an issue somehow (not long enough) just add to it. I really doubt there is anyone out there sell a harness for this engine meant for the 0411. You might find a universal harness meant for ls swaps, but it would likely require swapping in your connectors.

These arent really peanut ports.
There should be square bore intakes available for these, search gen 6 454 on summit. That said, unless you want to make a bunch more power and think you'll hit the limit or the factory intake, why change it? Switching to the Holley setup would keep you from running your transmission, as far as I know.( it could be there is a way but that may be completely uncharted territory)

Did I miss anything? What are your power goals?

Post pics of this pre-runner. Sounds like fun

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking for a stand alone harness because I don't have a harness. I didn't think 500 was too bad for a new and simple install harness. I'd likely make sure it ran well first before doing the 0411 mod. I'm looking for about 500 ft lbs of torque and what ever hp came with it.
Fingers crossed Howell still makes the harness. I think it would be money well spent vs time spent searching salvage or weeding through myself

Thanks for the intake tip!

I'm with dylan on this, I would get one out of a salvage yard, but if it were brand new then you wouldn't have to worry about any wires being broken when the salvage yard pulls it. Not sure if budget is a concern but if you found a salvage yard harness you could throw the savings at a cam swap.

With said cam swap, I don't think 500 ft-lbs would be very hard to accomplish. Search around on here though, cam swaps do get a little involved and cost more than just the cam. Plus you need to get the computer tuned.

Reaction score
I'm with dylan on this, I would get one out of a salvage yard, but if it were brand new then you wouldn't have to worry about any wires being broken when the salvage yard pulls it. Not sure if budget is a concern but if you found a salvage yard harness you could throw the savings at a cam swap.

With said cam swap, I don't think 500 ft-lbs would be very hard to accomplish. Search around on here though, cam swaps do get a little involved and cost more than just the cam. Plus you need to get the computer tuned.

I spoke with Howell Fuel Injection. They said they haven't had a request for this harness in years. All the other harness builders I spoke to said no way, no how. They also said they will program my computer to delete all the emissions and smog. They don't do the 0411 conversion with this harness but after it's all running smooth I can do that myself later when I'm ready for more upgrades.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why not grab a late LS1 Camaro harness for 4L60, then repin the trans connector to 4L80 and PCM to 454? Could be stock or aftermarket. Seems like the easiest way out to me. How about a couple pics of this rig? Camaro PCM installs near passenger shock tower.