New motor or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
I almost dont want this truck anymore. Its gonna be a money pit of a toyhauler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsnow36318

Reaction score
I found a master rebuild kit for 350$ now would i need oversize pistons or rings? Or do i have to strip it down and measure it to find out first?

Last edited:

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want it done right and reliable your have to dismantle the whole motor, measure and inspect everything, preferably hot tank the block, have any necessary machining done one the block/heads, order new according to measurements, put back together.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
Cool. Im just gonna hone the cylinders and do a valve job. Clean it up and put it back together this truck is literally used 90% of the time to pull my buddy brad out of the ditch. The other 10% is hauling a car on a flat bed. I just want it to have enough life to go another 5 years.

mistaake

Reaction score
Cool. Im just gonna hone the cylinders and do a valve job. Clean it up and put it back together this truck is literally used 90% of the time to pull my buddy brad out of the ditch. The other 10% is hauling a car on a flat bed. I just want it to have enough life to go another 5 years.

junkyard/used engine honestly seems like a lot less work

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A rebuilt short block might be an option? Then have your heads done and bolt it back together. Not quite as cheap as a used engine but might be a better deal.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
I dont want to go cheap. I want to go with something reliable and i figure if i rebuild it ill know what i have. I rebuild bmws all day. Those things have to be way ******* accurate dude i have no doubt i can rebuild this engine. I just wanna know if a rebuilt 5.7 would be reliable or am i better off doing a 5.3 swap