New Massachusetts hitch law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My two-inch drop ball hitch is 2-0 with a Ford Taurus and a Suzuki GSX-R. Taurus rear ended me at a stop light, had to jump up and down on the bumper with her in reverse to dislodge it from her bumper. Motorcycle rider dumped the bike 30 yards behind me because he knew he couldn't slow down in time after I got in his lane while he was doing 70mph in a 45mph zone, according to witnesses. I guess at almost 2x the speed limit, everyone's in your way. Agree though, that even though the hitch can take a beating, the truck does the job.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
illinois has this law, but it is not enforced around here, besides once by some state trooper that pulled a kid over and needed a good reason.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah the Five-O is implementing this law everywhere... i know it's illegal here in IL too..

I'd definitely recommend you check your states laws or just pull your hitch out!

Half the time I'm worried about it getting stolen!

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no laws in New Mexico. It would be hard to enforce though every truck in town has their hitch on it

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New York has that law as well. There, it was to protect the dumb ***** that hit their knee on them then try suing the people of the truck. When I lived there, I always had the hitch in, and not once did a cop say anything.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
New York has that law as well. There, it was to protect the dumb ***** that hit their knee on them then try suing the people of the truck. When I lived there, I always had the hitch in, and not once did a cop say anything.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

People amaze me... Yeah sir I stuck that hitch there because I knew you would hit it someday.. lol

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
People amaze me... Yeah sir I stuck that hitch there because I knew you would hit it someday.. lol

ahaha ^^

I think that law is so stupid, god theis so many truck, and even cars aroumd here that the hitch has been in the receiver for so long you cant even take itout! Where people take the pin out, and hook up a trailer and move forward a few inches to pull it out, and it wont move! (never did i see someone drive without the pin obviously, but just to pull it out in their driveway or something) It would suck to have to change the receiver because the dawm cop gave you a ticket!

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if you have a Ball in your step-bumper, you get cited for an obscured plate.

I have to borrow a friend's receiver once b/c I was borrowing his trailer. He pulled the pin and it was seized in that he was spinning all 4 wheels strapped to a tree trying to pull it out.

Never in all my years of driving have I ever heard of such a law. And what do they do about hitches that stick out and are not receiver type? Remember those? Still got one on my Rambler.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I used to take mine out after every use because I thought it looked "tacky" leaving it in.
It became a PITA so I leave it in the hitch with a locking hitch pin.
I still think it looks "tacky" but it's not a PITA anymore :).