New LED vs HID headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
There are now 9011 high beam bulbs in both my low and high beams. Swapped from whatever the silverstar bulbs or something 9005/9006. I have Anzo low brow halo housings with glare caps. The stock housings had a better throw pattern than the Anzos.

I can finally see. They are way brighter than the other bulbs. I mean way brighter.

Ahh you did get them, awesome! So you like them? In my cheapo ebay headlights, they throw a great pattern, and are just stupid bright. People who flash me get a very rude, blinding, awakening when I flash them back 4-Hi.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yeah, they're pretty good. The best part is that I can see the road at night. They're aimed nice and low. I don't want to shine anyone out that is approaching me...not the safest thing to do if you ask me. I have a 4hi harness to install, and I'll splice that in sooner or later. I dont drive where high beams are needed that much. For now I'm just stoked that I can see.

Last edited:

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I like my HIDs. I bought them from ddm.

35w 6k lows and 55w 6k highs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my 5.7 Vortec powered iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.

89 8lughd

Reaction score
I have the 10ks on my tahoe but I think this truck im going to go diff and run the 3ks ones

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just like with HID's, it's difficult to get a good cutoff and pattern unless you do a projector retrofit.

Richard

sorry to drag up the past... but how would one do a projector Retrofit? I really like the HID's I have, but would love a better light pattern in front of me. Mine are installed in factory headlamps, designed for Halogens. All the "projector" headlamps available for sale sketch me out, not sure the cheap chinese stuff out there would adjust, fit or function properly. Any info?

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two different motorcycles with LED headlights ( aftermarket )
and they put out lots of light. Each bulb has a small fan to cool them. Both have been through a tin of water too with no issues. I have HIDs in my car but the.light scatteris bad.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
sorry to drag up the past... but how would one do a projector Retrofit? I really like the HID's I have, but would love a better light pattern in front of me. Mine are installed in factory headlamps, designed for Halogens. All the "projector" headlamps available for sale sketch me out, not sure the cheap chinese stuff out there would adjust, fit or function properly. Any info?
There are a few threads around the net about doing a retrofit on a GMT400. It's work. But it's the only way you will get a truly good pattern out of a GMT400 composite headlight and HID's.

On paper it's "easy" - you bake the housing at low temp so the glue gets soft, peel the lens off, mark and cut a hole in the reflector to mount a small projector. There are some OEM ones you can use that are small enough (Acura TSX comes to mind, I think?) or aftermarket ones like Morimoto. The trick is fitting it right into the housing and then weatherproofing it from the back. Then reinstall the lens with some sealant. You will almost surely need to open up your core support for clearance. Anyway check out theretrofitsource for parts...

The aftermarket "ready to install" projector headlights totally suck, pretty much for every vehicle they're made for...because there's zero functionality in the design, it's just for looks. Most of the ones I've seen on the streets have extremely poor output and pattern.

EDIT - lol, while I was typing, you see that - a link posted up about retrofitting in a GMT400. :)

Richard

Zshipes

Reaction score
I just recently put in a new set of LED bulbs (Will have to get back to you on the exact brand) and I'm on the fence about it yea they are brighter than my old halogen bulbs but for the price I expected more however I'm gonna say that the stock headlight bezels are my main issue so I've ordered aftermarket with clear lenses I will get back with you when they come in

Last edited:

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got Opt-7 led highs and lows and I’m running a 4 hi kit, i think they’re great and have great light output, no flicker, no warm up time and very little modification to make them fit. I hate hids, and everything about them, you can always tell who has them because they are the most annoying people on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk