New guy from San Diego (Poway)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all -

Been lurking for a couple of weeks, but it's come to sign up so here goes!

I just bought a 1993 C2500 Suburban (Silverado trim) w/ a 454. It's a bit of sentimental purchase for me since my dad had a 1993 K1500 Suburban growing up. I had been planning on picking up a square body Suburban since I've always been fond of that body style, but this truck spoke to me. That the old man came with to check it out and we started having too many trips down memory lane didn't help :).

So, the truck is an extremely clean specimen. It has 145K miles that, best I can tell were pretty darn gentle. Its past is a little odd in that the CARFAX shows it sat unregistered for a long long time, but the title is clean and it passed smog just fine, which is all I care. I bought it off an older guy who had planned to leave it at his cabin in Idaho, but quickly realized 4WD is a bit of a must, so lucky me.

The body is VERY straight with just enough scratches and dents to carry the right bit of patina IMHO. It's a local CA truck, so rust is non-existent anywhere except for a tiny bit on the rear bumper where the chrome is flaking off. It needs the usual stuff like a really good headlight restoration and the chrome on the bumper is coming off, but that's all cheap and easy stuff to take care of.

The interior is just about pristine, minus the need for some new sun visors, some fresh foam in the driver's seat, and a couple of other very minor things. Except for the crappy aftermarket stereo the previous owner installed (which only seems to be driving maybe 2 speakers), everything seems to work just fine! Although, I did have one initial scare with the HVAC completely conking out one day, but some googling on this site told me how to 'fix it' by unhooking the battery for a bit. Who knew?

Mechanically, the truck is very sound and seems to have lived a pampered life. Despite having a pretty gnarly hitch on it, I can't see where it ever had a trailer connector for anything large enough to require a trailer brake, nor can I find a spot where the controller had been installed. The tranny shifts stupid smooth, with the exception of an overly firm 1/2 when it's cold (normal for 4L80E?). Power is...meh, but we'll see how she wakes up after I finish a basic tune up. Some of the typical stuff is showing its age with some minor leaks here and there (front seal, power steering), but the previous owner already got the joy of fixing the water pump, radiator, hoses, and AC, so she's well on her way. Unfortunately, she decided to 'welcome' herself to the family by having the brake booster (hydroboost) completely conk out right after she came home which, because I didn't have time to fix, cost a pretty penny at the local mechanic.

Anywho, I'll post up pics when I have a moment, but so far I'm a pretty happy guy. Thanks for reading!

Mike

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice and welcome. I'm down in SD.