new gmt400 owner with towing question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tloh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a long bed extended cab 90 lo5 5.7 4x4 gmt400. I got this truck from a family member with a bad piston, recently rebuild the 5.7 and been using it for a shop truck. It has the 700r4 transmission in it as well. My question is what is the towing power of the lo5 5.7?

Reason I ask is, I recently went on a 5 1/2 hour drive picking up a motor/transmission. The gmt without the drivetrain in the bed was cruising low rpms around 75-80 easy, but with the load it was a struggle getting it to cruise comfortable at anything above 75mph rpm wise. I have a dual axle flat bed I tow a 2800lb car with. I am wanting to use the gmt as a go-to tow truck for this trailer instead of the cummins I am trying to sale. Is the lo5/700r4 up to that, or should I be thinking about finding a lq9/4l80 combo before I try to tow that kind of weight with the gmt? The trailer will need towing as much as 5 hour tow periods. Love the truck though, it's def grown on me after working on it. First post, so hopefully I didn't break any forum rules and posted in the right spot.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the factory, maximum towing capacity was probably in the 5,000-6,500 lb. neighborhood, depending on the rear axle (3.42, 3.73 or 4.10). I would assume that you're just under that with the 2,800-lb car plus whatever the trailer weight is.

A 6.0L would definitely help with acceleration, but wouldn't necessarily increase your safe towing capacity...it's the braking performance that I'd be more worried about.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I tow a small 5th wheel (6000lbs) with my 97 K1500.....3.73 gears, tow package

If you are going to tow with your truck, make sure it has an external tranny cooler, install a trans temp gauge and tow in 3rd gear, not overdrive.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tloh

Reaction score
thank both for the comments. Didn't know about the leave it in drive thing. I def need to buy a transmission cooler because I hate when its a rad/cooler combo anyway. also what's the thoughts on daul e fans running none stop versus the stock clutch fan system? Still running clutch fan + shroud.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 350 is fine, if yours is operating properly. I've hauled over a ton a few times with mine, and it's a V6. It doesn't struggle at all. I also keep it out of overdrive and baby it when there's a load in it.
I just hauled 2600 pounds in it last week.

Last edited: